Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How to deal with pain?

*BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
Hey,

Just looking to see if people have any advice. I get muscle spasms in my neck, and they are very painful. I am going through physio at the minute, and I often feel very poorly with them, which include tiredness & sickness.

I also get very low and they have a huge impact on my mood. I am on stronger pain relief from my doctor, however I know they aren't a long term solution. I've done all the things that doctors have suggested.

I'm just looking for some advice on how to cope if any of you struggle with pain.

Hope this all makes sense.

Thank you for taking the time to read this thread :heart:
" And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
" So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
'' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "

Comments

• Options
    DistractionDistraction Posts: 449 Listening Ear
    I would suggest trying to massage it but you've probably already be given exercises to do, putting ice on it can numb it a bit, stretch regularly, drink water, sleep well, reduce stress if you can

When my knees get really painful at night I just try to breath through it and stretch them out (which can be incredibly painful) but for a neck it's more a sharp pain and I wouldn't really know how you'd wait/cope that one out sorry not much help, hope you find something soon
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Hey BananaMonkey,

Would you be willing to try something like Pilates or Yoga? It's a bit more of a longer term fix which would need practise maybe once/twice a week. As part of this you would also get to stretch your neck (as well as the rest of your body) whilst also having various other good effects on your body (e.g. increased flexibility, reduced stress levels).

I've done it for a year and a half now to try and manage my pain - I often have knee and hip pain, as well as back issues and I really do find it helps keep the pain at bay. It does take some getting used to and needs practise regularly to get to a good level, but once you get there it can be really helpful. There are some yoga / pilates videos on youtube I could recommend you, but if you haven't done it before it might be good to check out some local classes to help you with the basics.

I hope that helps.

• Options
    *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    plugitin wrote: »
    Hey BananaMonkey,

Would you be willing to try something like Pilates or Yoga? It's a bit more of a longer term fix which would need practise maybe once/twice a week. As part of this you would also get to stretch your neck (as well as the rest of your body) whilst also having various other good effects on your body (e.g. increased flexibility, reduced stress levels).

I've done it for a year and a half now to try and manage my pain - I often have knee and hip pain, as well as back issues and I really do find it helps keep the pain at bay. It does take some getting used to and needs practise regularly to get to a good level, but once you get there it can be really helpful. There are some yoga / pilates videos on youtube I could recommend you, but if you haven't done it before it might be good to check out some local classes to help you with the basics.

I hope that helps.

My physio lady has suggested the same but I get quite anxous when I dont know people so im not sure id be able to cope with a class.

Im trying to relax more and thats helping a bit. But its just so draining.
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "