Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Family

LostsenseLostsense Posts: 1,329 Wise Owl
I wanted a night out at the dogs for my Birthday with my family (which is dog racing and you put bets on the dogs) its a really good night out and for a sit down meal. My aunty who has cancer is too ill to come(she is really ill now, my mum said to me lastnight my mum dosent think my aunty has much longer left), anyway she messaged me and my mum lastnight to say she couldnt come but her son and daughter (my cousions) still want to come (I dont get on well with my auntys daughter at all) but I said she is invited or my family will fall out with me but I have just been informed that she has invited her boyfriend too, how cheeky! Its bad enough her coming but she has invited her boyfriend too! So I've told my mum to either tell my aunty that my cousion can come but not her boyfriend or we'll not go and she said she cant tell my aunty that my cousions boyfriend cant come so it looks like we are not going now! Also my other uncle and cousions wanted to come so its ruined it for us all because no-one apart from me will tell my aunty my cousions boyfriend cant come. I would but my family would probably fall out with me. My family think I'm wrong for not allowing my cousin that I hate to bring her boyfriend lol and its meant to have been my birthday family night out. Am I wrong?

Comments

• Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,306 Part of The Furniture
    Aaagh, tricky situation. It's never fun being somewhere with someone you really don't want to be with, much less for your birthday. :rolleyes:

You're not wrong to feel the way you feel - ultimately it's your day, and if you're not comfortable with someone being there then that should probably be your call to make. That being said, relationships with family can certainly be complicated, and it's tough when parents etc. don't see it that way. I guess to them it might depend on other things like the reason for not wanting her to come. For example, have you guys got history? Are they unaware of why you don't get on? Missing context can make things quite confusing.

I realise you posted this a few days ago - did you go out in the end?

PS: I moved this to Sex & Relationships where it should get a bit more pickup, and fits a little better. :)
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • Options
    LostsenseLostsense Posts: 1,329 Wise Owl
    No they are aware we dont get on. No its in a couple of weeks and just my immidiate family are coming now to not cause any upset/trouble.

Ah okay. Was going to put it under sex and relationships bit found it a bit funny disscussing my family under sex.
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,306 Part of The Furniture
    Aah, that's good to hear. Sounds like things got resolved, more or less? :)

No worries at all - relationships can cover family, work, etc. but can totally get why it might feel weird! Haha.
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.