Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Being insulted for not watching sport

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
On many occasions, someone will start a conversation with me by saying something like: "What did you think of the match last night?" or "Did you see the fight last night?" or "What about that goal in the 88th minute?" or "How did the ref not see that dodgy tackle by Smith?". I have no interest in sport and I don't even know what sport they're talking about. After I politely tell them that, they either continue to enthusiastically ramble on and on about an event that I have no interest or understanding of - or they insult and ridicule me with contempt for not sharing their obsession with sport, saying that I "must be a faggot". How can I counter that?

A related opener is to ask me which football team I support, which wrongly assumes that I do. When I politely tell the person that I don't, they react by being angrily confused with me.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There must be many people in our position in regard to being ostracised for not being obsessed with watching sport. It seems that it's unofficially compulsory for every man to think it's the most important thing in the world. I find that most people (males at least) are obsessed with sport wherever I go.

I'm puzzled at the obsession with Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead.

I've only watched the first episode of GoT, and it's one of the worst TV shows I've ever seen (and I've watched thousands of TV shows). It's boring, confusing nonsense that has far too many characters - none of whom are likeable. I've had my head bitten off by many people for not being obsessed with it. People have asked me if I'm up-to-date with it or if I've seen the latest episode yet - as though it's compulsory to be obsessed with it. When I say that I've only watched the first episode and won't ever be watching any more, I'm viewed as an alien.

I've seen the first few episodes of TWD. It's the same thing every ep - zombies try to kill the living characters, who try to get away from the zombies. The acting and writing are awful. There's no character development, no humour, no romance etc.

Have you found any alternative topics of conversation that are welcomed by many people?
    Talking about weather tends to descend into the other people complaining about it.

Talking about work outside of work tends not to go down well - unless you have a really interesting job - which I don't.

In social situations, there's an expectation and demand to be entertaining, fun etc. I'm a serious person, so I can't do that. I just get looked at with hostility, like I an alien, just because I don't & can't tell jokes or do banter - and because I'm not obsessed with sport or Game of Thrones.
  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
    its a bit of a sexist thing really - people expect blokes to like sport. It's ok to have your own interests though, maybe try and find friends who share the same likes as you do so you have more in common to talk about.
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
    Is there an equivalent for girls? Are they expected to watch soaps and / or reality shows regularly? Are they looked down upon and ridiculed if they don't?