Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Back to work after a broken foot

Laura12345Laura12345 Posts: 265 The Mix Regular
I went back to work the weekend just gone after being off since the 13th of Jan because of a broken foot. I went back on Saturday and ended up doing a 9-8;30 shift and then on the Sunday doing 9-5. It got to a stage on Sunday when I was on my section recovering and I was on the floor folding the clothes and then I went to get back up and I couldn't put any weight on the foot that I had injured and I ended up having to go to the first aid room during work and they told me to rest it for 30mins and then if still wasn't good then they would have sent me home but I was determined to stay so I did. Yesterday I did a 4hour shift and the manager said I shouldn't be in because I was still in pain and still limping so he put me on tills so I didn't have to move. it got to a stage when I felt sick because of putting weight on my foot. I know its probably best for me to have next weekend off but I'm worried that I can because of having an important meeting on Saturday (see other post meeting with store manager)

Comments

• Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Speaking from experience here: sometimes pushing it even a little bit makes your recovery a hell of a lot worse and delays it. Take the time you need - otherwise it'll just hurt for longer.
  • Options
    Yeah I think I'm gonna have to take time off but I've got a important meeting Saturday that I kinda need to go to but don't know if I feel well enough to
  • Options
    One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
    I agree it's best to ensure your fully recovered before going back to work.
    I think it goes for many things, can someone take you to and bring you back from your meeting? But don't feel bad if you're not feeling up to it.
  • Options
    Yeah I think I need to take some more time off work! No one can take me to the meeting as no one is home all weekend and my sister has work! My friend was gonna take me to work as she starts at 9 too but the meeting bcos isn't until 3 so if I go at 9 I will be expected to do my shift but I'm not physically or emotionally able to do it! I'm worried if I can't go to the meeting I'll be in trouble
  • Options
    One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
    Hi Lura, you can't help being ill, so you should not be in any trouble. Could you prehaps get a taxi? Like I say we can't help being ill. You emotional health is also very important too.
    Don't feel too bad about not going. They would prefer to have you while your fit enough to do it. Instead of only being able to do bits
  • Options
    Hi. Thanks for the reply. I'm feeling incredibly ill at the moment and it's ever since I made my injury worse at work on Sunday! I feel sick everytime I put too much weight on my foot. I could get a taxi to the meeting but if I do just go for the meeting I will then feel bad for being there not working especially as it tends to be busy at the weekend! Work don't know emotionally what I'm going through so probably won't understand how hard things have been for me recently.
  • Options
    DistractionDistraction Posts: 449 Listening Ear
    Hiya,

I would say rest, you aren't helping anyone when ur not a 100%, like one in a million said we can't help being ill, so put ur feet up, eat ice cream and watch some movies! No point in worrying about feeling bad, it happens to the best of us, think of it as a holiday.

You've already tried to go in when ur foot wasn't healed and they've seen that it's not getting anyone anywhere, it might even get on there nerves if you keep going in but aren't able to do your job because you can't stand and then the'll have to send you home again, they'll be short staffed and have to try find someone to take your place. So you'r best resting and that way you will be back to it in no time.
  • Options
    Hi Distraction thanks for the reply. I should have listened to what you said because I went into work today and did a 11&1/2hr shift and now my foot is so painful. it got to stage when I was starting to feel sick because of the pain because I was on my feet non stop for at least 4hrs without a break. Ive never been sent home because of my foot as ive forced myself to stay at work!!! I I'm sure they would prefer me to try and work then to not turn up at all because of the lack of staff.
  • Options
    Hi. An update on my foot injury. Since going back to work after my foot injury and having the horrible experience on the weekend of 11-12 Feb I just feel that any time soon at work something could happen again. I still don't feel my foot has fully recovered and sometimes at work it suddenly hurts again and I then feel ill. What am I meant to do at work if I need a first aider or someone at work and there is no one around and I cant walk to find someone, I'm worried at some point this might happen?!