Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Having periods at age ten

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
At a recent family gathering, my 10-year-old niece had her first period. She freaked out like Carrie White, because she had no idea what was going on and thought she must be injured or seriously ill. I asked her mother why she hadn't told her about menstruation, to which she said: "I was going to tell her in a couple of years time - I didn't think she'd start at ten!"

Is it normal and common for ten-year-olds to menstruate?

Comments

• Options
    One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
    Hi Rob it's totally normal for a 10 year old to have her period. Useualy the age for a female to experience their first period is 9-15 years of age.
  • Options
    FeatheredDreamsFeatheredDreams Posts: 91 Budding Regular
    Yep! A little on the early side, but not abnormally early! As said, 9-15 is the common age, some have started before and after those ages but that's generally rare.
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,615 Legendary Poster
    Yup completely normal, in fact it's common too. Although I was 12 when I got mine I do know some younger girls who already have it or have had it from a young age. I think a lot of older women don't think it can happen so young.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The average age of menarche has reduced in the last few decades, so I guess it surprises some mothers when their daughters menstruate at an earlier age than they did.
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,615 Legendary Poster
    Robert wrote: »
    The average age of menarche has reduced in the last few decades, so I guess it surprises some mothers when their daughters menstruate at an earlier age than they did.

I agree
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”