Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Mental Problem, Maybe Some Form of OCD? Any help?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello, I am 15 years old and I have been going through quite the struggle lately. It all started in 7th grade when I used to get anxiety attacks and obsessive thoughts that lead to ridiculous compulsive actions, typical ocd symptoms right? I have not been diagnosed with OCD, however I am cetain that I must have some form of it because compulsive, obsessive thinking has been a part of me for a long time. Now I am at a point where I dont really get anxiety however compulsive sometimes impulsive thoughts pester my mind for a large part of the day, preventing me from focusing. It gets to the point where I can no longer take it. Sometimes, I will argue to myself about certain controversial topics. Sometimes I will play out conversations in my head. Sometimes I will imagine I'm somewhere else, or just be thinking about things. I have always done this however it hadn't really been a problem for me, I have been doing fine but It seems like it has spiked.

I don't really do any actions compulsively, I do not check the stove or the locks 20 times a day, I am very far from organized, I can socialize well, I no longer fear for the safety of my family if I do not flip the light switch on and off 3 times, I am relatively academically successful but I cannot stop the impulsive thinking. I cannot focus sometimes. I do it without realizing that I am doing it. Sometimes, my mind just wanders and it can be very difficult to focus. I recently just experienced a period of complete "brain fog" (at least thats what I read online) where I wasnt distracted by other thoughts but rather my mind was completely blank. I couldn't do simple things like reading a sentence without getting distracted halfway through.. I was trying to do Math Homework earlier today but I was constantly getting distracted by unimportant, irrelevant thoughts. Not scary thoughts but distracting ones. After that my mind just went blank, something I dont think I have experienced before. I have skipped shcool today and given up on my homework.

That is why I am here now, seeing if there is anyone who can maybe relate to this. Perhaps it is stress, I have been very stressed out lately for various reasons. maybe its depression? maybe it is ocd or something else? (Again, I have not been diagnosed with OCD, and I haven't seen a professional yet, which I plan on doing) I've been trying to find out but I just cant. There are times where I can focus extremely well if I am motivated. Maybe I am just stressed and tired. I am not bothered by anxiety, but stress rather. I think it may be OCD but I dont do things compulsively that much anymore. I'ts only really the thoughts in my head unless I do not realize it. Does anyone have a problem similar to this?

Comments

• Options
    FeatheredDreamsFeatheredDreams Posts: 91 Budding Regular
    To me it sounds like OCD is certianly a possibility, yes, as OCD as far as i'm aware can still be diagnosed if it's only obsessive or compulsive thoughts (that is, without any ocd behaviours) (depending the extent to which it disrupts life)...don't quote me on that though. xD

Though the brain fog and such sounds like something else altogether...idk what though.
  • Options
    Thanks for the response! I think the "brain fog" may have been from a lack of sleep. My main concern is that it could be something worse. I plan on seeing a therapist soon.
  • Options
    Hi @BiasedGiraffe7,

Well done for posting on here. It can be really frustrating when we're experiencing these things, and aren't sure or don't understand what's going on. It can sometimes feel scary and overwhelming too.

We can't diagnose on here; so your best port of call will be your GP or as you mentioned, going to see a therapist. If you are anxious or unsure about how to start talking about things, you could try DocReady. This might help you to think about what areas you'd like to focus on. You might also find our article 'Do I have OCD?' useful to read.

Whatever the matter, we're here if you want to talk about things or just vent.

Let us know how you get on :)