Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Signed off work...:(

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey,

I've very recently been signed off of work for 6 weeks due to my mental health.This has really made me feel so much more upset and depressed, for obvious reasons.And the depression from this is not good at all as it is adding to everything else which is bad/negative and going on.I feel so lost and alone and have absolutely nobody to turn to😢x

Comments

• Options
    micamica Deactivated Posts: 98 Budding Regular
    Hi HannahBannanna,

I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling well. It makes sense that without something to keep you busy, your mood would get even worse, so getting signed-off from work definitely seems counter productive. I guess I would just encourage you to use these 6 weeks as productively as you can. Maybe reaching out for more support, or learning a new skill/hobby like Aidan suggested, could keep you busy and improve your mental health at the same time. It can be hard to do in the moment, but try to remember that your employer is trying to give you the opportunity to improve your well-being.

Wishing you the best. How are you getting on today?

- Mica

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aidan wrote: »
    Hi,

I suffer from depression too, and whilst it's paralysing at the minute, I know that it will probably get better eventually. Maybe one day I'll be able to look back and say it made me a stronger person... maybe.

I'm sure that you were signed off work because your employers believe (arguably incorrectly) it will benefit your health, but I understand that some people like to stay busy as a distraction sometimes. It sounds like perhaps you're one of them?

I know how hard it is to find things you still enjoy when you're like this. But doing something and venting the energy you do have into something positive is always better than doing nothing and letting your thoughts run rampant.

I personally distract myself by reading (particularly self-help for depression and anxiety, but also fantasy for the escapism) and drawing and learning to play a musical instrument, and whilst I don't enjoy it much yet, it's still better than doing nothing- and I'm reliably informed by multiple psychiatrists and counselors (about 4 now I think) that motivation comes after doing things, not before, so you have to force yourself to get out there and try things.

I'm new here and don't believe we've spoken before, so I'm sorry if I've gotten any aspects of your situation wrong 😢 . I'm only trying to help, but I get how annoying eager people can be.

I wish you all the best in your fight against your demons Hannah, and I'm here for you if you need anything, like I'm sure everyone else on here is X

Hang in there 😊

Hi Aidan,
    I'm sorry you have that too and I hope things continue to get better for you.

It was Occupational Health(OH)via my place of employment who have signed me off for 6 weeks.6 weeks off is not a good idea and I really feel that it will hardly have any benefit at all.I do prefer to be kept busy and distracted but I also love my job role so much and really do enjoy it.

Thank you very much, and how are you?