Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

broken foot- how long until i can return to work (work in retail) ????

Laura12345Laura12345 Posts: 265 The Mix Regular
I broke a bone in my foot on 13th of this month and been off work ever since but I really need to get back to work. My family need the money due to what's been going on recently (see post about cousin). o therefore need to get back to work.

​ how long should a broken bone in a foot take to recover? I need to get back to work.

Comments

• Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Hi Laura,

I think a lot depends on how bad a break it is! When you had the xray did the hospital give you an amount of time it should take to recover?

I stress fractured my foot at xmas and was told 6-8 weeks recovery and 4 weeks on I still can't stand for more than 5 mins. I'd be concerned that you went back to work too early and stopped it healing properly.

Are you entitled to statutory sick pay at all?
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply xox it isn't a bad break I was only crutches for a week because they said I should be alright to walk without them after that. They said about 4-6 weeks but I need to go back to work! I need to go back to work because I need the money for the sake of the family. No we aren't entitled to sick pay I don't know why! This is why I feel I need to get back to work!
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I know you are saying you need to get back to work, but I wouldn't even consider it until it's been 4 weeks. I'm guessing you will be on your feet all day, and honestly, I'm not sure you'd be able to stand for a full day without either further damaging your foot or causing yourself other injuries by trying to balance most on your other broken foot.

Perhaps you could talk to your boss about reasonable adjustments, but I would doubt they would want you to come back in until a doctor has okayed your foot.

I totally understand how frustrating it is - it's been a month for me already and I'm sick to death of being on the sofa!!
  • Options
    I need to get back to work because my family badly need the money!! I only do 4hr shifts and if my supervisor knows about it she will keep me on my department or tills and make sure I don't have to walk around much!! I have been to work with a sprained ankle before and they have been okay with it! U don't feel I can speak to my boss too be honest and I can't have any more time off. I'm going to try and go back to work at the weekend I think. It's so frustrating
  • Options
    apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    hi Laura,

I have fractured my foot on a few occassions, most recently I fractured my metatarsal in december 2015 and it re-fractured after healing (well enough according to the doctors, to remove my moonboot etc.) in january 2016.

As plugitin says it depends on how badly you fractured it, and would say 4-6 weeks is a good estimate for a straightforward fracture, although its important to remember that everyone is different e.g. they said mine was fine, yet it refractured (not to scare you, as they said this rarely happens, but just an example to show everyone is different).

From the advice I was given when I fractured my foot: they were keen for me to walk on it as much as possible (obviously when my pain subsided enough, as had to use crutches for a short time like yourself) with my moonboot- as apparently walking on it helps prevent healing of the bone (that's what I was told in my case). Although any hard weight bearing exercise or running would still need to be avoided. However, I would advise you get in contact with the hospital or even your GP may be able to advise you, as everyone is different and I don't want to say you would get the same advice to me, as it could depend on how bad a fracture it was, if it got displaced etc.

Also note, they don't always give out moonboots for metatarsal fractures as at first they didn't give me one, but it was so painful I went back and got given one to wear. Just wondering if you have been provided with a moonboot or other support by the hospital? If so, if they do give you the go ahead to go back to work, may be best to wear the provided footwear (although not very appealing looking, probably be more comfortable for yourself).

Have you got another appointment with a doctor or fracture clinic about your fracture? Personally I got check up's nearing my healing times, where they did X-Rays to check healing etc.

Overall I think the main things to consider when deciding whether to go to work OR if you decide to go back, things that may be helpful are:

1) What does your doctor advise? (generally and specifically with regards to work)
    2) Are you in any pain? If so, do painkillers reduce or get rid of the pain OR mild enough you feel you could go to work (perhaps with adjustments) OR are you in so much pain that perhaps you don't feel able to go back to work?
    3) Is the pain just when weight bearing OR all the time? If only when weight bearing perhaps you could ask work to make adjustments so you are mostly sitting down all day? Also could they provide a stool or something whilst your sitting to elevate your foot?
    4) The type of work you are doing. I know you work in retail, but what specific tasks do you do, and is there any alternative non-weight bearing jobs you could do for now?
    5) Wearing supplied footwear if given any by hospital (or even if you have good supportive shoes if not). If you don't have any and feel it would benefit and/or allow you to return to work could you request a moonboot?
    6) The hours you work- perhaps you feel you could do reduced hours but not full-time?
    7) When you are out of work, I strongly advise (based on what doctors have told me and previous experiences) - ELEVATING your foot and APPLYING ICE (could use an ice pack or even buy some frozen peas, although you should wrap the ice pack in a towel or something or put a sock on, but DON'T put directly onto your skin). This is a common thing recommended for many injuries, because the elevation and ice helps reduce swelling- this can also HELP REDUCE PAIN , as the swelling can cause pain in itself with the extra pressure).

BUT I will stress what your doctor advises should take priority ie. if they stay you should stay off work, I think it would be a good idea to. However also note that this MAY not stop you from attending work (although perhaps with adjustments) - hence I think you should just ask your doctor straight "Should I be working?"

Oh and feel free to let us know how things go :)

Also here a little pic of a moonboot (this is the same thing as I wore) incase you didn't know what I was talking about, PS. they are actually very comfy lol :)
  • Options
    Hi. Oh right so sorry to hear that apandav. Its not too bad, Its not painful all the time its only painful when I walk or on it for too long. I have a weak ankle anyway so I'm more likely to be get injured even if I just do something that would be a sprain. I understand what youre saying but because of the sitation I'm in with my ankle anyway anything could happen. I don't have to use my crutches much any more because it doesn't hurt that much, I can put some weight on it but not fully. I wasn't provided with a moonboot from the hospital. they told me it wasn't necessary and the only thing they gave me was crutches and bandaged my foot up for support. I have an appointment later today to see what they situation is. Thanks for the advice on what to consider when wanting to go back to work. I need to work to be honest because my family badly need the money because of what happened recently with my cousin (read the post on cousin in for major op) and also with my aunt being put into a care home eventually which also got lots of money. I feel I need to support the family as much as possible atm because I have a job and should be earning money on a regular basis. Ive been off work since I did the injuty on the 13th and I feel I need to get back into work. I only work weekends and only do 4hrs per day so I should be able to manage the shift. I feel that if I speak to my supervisor and explain about my injury that she will let me stay on tills or on my department and let me have breaks if I need to rest my foot. She will make sure I don't do anything that will cause more pain/ make my injury worse although she will probably say I shoudlnt be in. Thank you all for your advice on this