Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Dealing With Suicidal Ideation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know this is a pretty heavy topic, but I'm at a bit of a lose end. I have several mental illnesses that are currently being assessed, but the process has taken three months so far and I still haven't been seen by the Community Mental Health Team, the people I'm being sent to next. This week things became more complicated because my Nan is very ill and likely to die, and so I've been simultaneously upset about this and found it even harder to keep my family up to date with my struggles. This has really worsened my ongoing symptoms and now I have to face the weekend with suicidal thoughts going around my head, and no-one to see until Monday. I'm talking to my housemate but I hate burdening her.
Last time this happened, a couple of months ago, I went into A&E. But they only referred me to a psychiatric liaison officer who told me to wait for the assessment process, gave me some leaflets of which I had pretty much identical copies already, and sent me on my way. Thankfully the thoughts were most probably triggered by a medication change not an event like this time, and so subsided after I got used to the meds. But I don't want to go all the way to the A&E, at least an hour away, to just get the same treatment.
I'm not sure who else to contact as I figured Samaritans would just be able to give me the listening ear that my friend does (though please correct me if I'm wrong :)) Sorry for the long post, any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,495 Skive's The Limit
    Hi.
    Samaratians does just give a listening and doesnt give advice. But i think a site called Imalive can give advice. But ive never use it, so please correct me if im wrong. And its not over thr phone but online.
    Going A&E isnt a bad idea. Even if the treatment isnt great but youre keeping safe in that moment.
    I hope things start getting easier for you. You get the thoughts but obviously dont want to keep getting them or act on them. So keep seeking the help. And hope monday goes okay.
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    Thank you for your message Shaunie. I hadn't actually come across Imalive and I've bookmarked it now for when I need it so thanks for the advice. Thanks for the concern, I will always remember that the A&E option is there for short term safety. Thankfully things haven't got to that point so far this weekend, and hopefully now its getting close to Monday I should be able to get some support tomorrow x
  • Options
    Hey Phoebe, how are you doing? :)

I'm sorry to hear you've been struggling with suicidal thoughts recently, especially with so much going on around you. You've done great in identifying what options you have to get support with this and staying safe, including reaching out on here :yes:

Samaritans are a great option if you need that listening ear, they can also provide you with other contacts if needed. IMAlive does also offer a listening ear if you're not too keen on using the phone, and they can also refer you to other services. If things get really tough you could also try Papyrus, and A&E or calling 999 is the best option if you feel you are at risk and vulnerable. It's nice that you've been able to talk to your housemate too. Talking about things can really help to release some of those feelings and feel a bit lighter, even if it's just a chat about random things to give you a distraction.

Good to hear that you've been okay this weekend, and let us know how you get on tomorrow.

Hang in there :heart: