Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

PMDD + other mental health issues = I need some advice

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As you can guess from the title I suffer from what I believe is PMDD - feeling depressed, suicidal, thoughts of self harm, ridiculously high anxiety etc. for a couple of weeks before my period. I also have pre-existing mental health conditions, including OCD and depersonalisation, which are only exacerbated at this time of the month. This time last month I ended up in A&E because I felt suicidal and a risk to myself. With the help of University councillors and other mental health professionals I've got through the last month. However the PMDD has hit again now when I'm having to go home for Christmas and lose my support network of friends and health professionals. I have just been referred to the CMHT in my uni town but this won't be formalised until after Christmas, when I'm back at university.
Sorry for such a long post but I was wondering whether anyone has any advice about PMDD, coping without your support network and generally getting through feeling this rubbish. Thanks in advance x

Comments

• Options
    Hi Phoebe,

I'm sure some of the community will chip in here but I just wanted to say well done for posting :yes: It's really good that you're thinking ahead about strategies that might help you to cope over the Christmas holiday. I'm glad to hear you have a good support system at uni and that helped you to get through last month. Is there anybody you would be able to stay in touch with over the Christmas break if you need some support?

If you haven't already, you might like to check out NAPMDD; an association that offers support and resources for those with PMDD.

The boards are also open 24/7 over Christmas so you're more than welcome to post on here if you need some support or just to chat :)
  • Options
    Thank you Raich, I really appreciate the information :) I live with my family when not at Uni and though this sometimes causes some problems it does mean I'm not on my own over Christmas. I'm looking into getting a couple of private sessions with someone trained in mental health over this period, and will touch base with my GP, but it will be mostly emergency mental health support if needed. I have some lists of numbers for this :)
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,615 Legendary Poster
    Hi there,

I just wanted to reply and echo what Raich has said - a huge well done for posting this on here. The boards are a great place to get support over Christmas, they're always open.

I just wanted to add to this. I was wondering if you know that The Mix run regular support live chats with a main focus of providing support. They're moderated, supportive (although sometimes busy) chats that can be really helpful in letting you talk through your feelings and get support quickly. They run Sunday through Thursday from 8-9.30pm. Just wanted to let you know about this.

Sending you huge hugs.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”