Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Dyslexic/ADHD Assessment Next Week

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi guys and gals. :)

I don't really know where to start on this, but I'll try to explain.
When I was 16 years old, I went to the doctors about ADHD symptoms I had been having for years. Distraction to anything, lack of concentration, can't focus on work, etc. The doctors dismissed them, said it was OCD, referred me to CAMHS, and I had CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) for less than a year. They dismissed me at the age of 17. I wanted to continue treatment but at the time I felt that the woman at CAMHS thought I was ready to be discharged, so I was. I always had extra time in exams at school, learning support, etc. Once discharged, I started college. I went through my whole college years without any support which sucked, but to be treated as a 'normal' person was great so I left it as it was.

Last year, I started Uni. I barely passed the first year. I couldn't focus, couldn't concentrate properly in exams, and I took exams in a normal room with everyone else with no extra time. Like I said, I wanted to try and be like everyone else. Luckily, I passed the first year. Now I'm on my second year, and we're two months in on learning, and I haven't got a clue on what we're doing. I try to purposely sit and listen in lectures but the slightest distraction of what happened an hour ago or what music you last listened to, it throws me off. I thought I'll have to do something about it. I visited my Uni's learning support area today and had a meeting with an advisor who made me do a quick dyslexia assessment. She said its indicating I could have dyslexia, and I could have a full screening done to indicate dyslexia and ADHD (the disorder that I thought I had four years ago).

I had to pay £100 for this screening and SFE pay the rest. My screening is next Thursday and I'm already nervous.
I feel like I've made a mistake paying it even though I know its the only way I can see what's wrong with me.
Does anyone else have an experience with a screening they could share and tell me what happens? I'm freaking out and I only paid today. :(

Thanks!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Cat88Cat88 Posts: 377 Listening Ear
    Hey Teenaging. I don't have personal experience but just wanted to say I think it's great that you're doing this. Acknowledging you're struggling is often one of the hardest things to do, but you're noticing that and doing something about it - go you! £100 is a lot of money so I understand that must feel daunting, however if it gets you some answers and support then I hope it will be worth it.

What do you think it is that you're nervous about? Is it what the test will involve or more what it might say?

Do keep us updated and I'm sure some other users may have experience of this themselves.
  • Options
    Cat88 wrote: »
    Hey Teenaging. I don't have personal experience but just wanted to say I think it's great that you're doing this. Acknowledging you're struggling is often one of the hardest things to do, but you're noticing that and doing something about it - go you! £100 is a lot of money so I understand that must feel daunting, however if it gets you some answers and support then I hope it will be worth it.

What do you think it is that you're nervous about? Is it what the test will involve or more what it might say?

Do keep us updated and I'm sure some other users may have experience of this themselves.

Thanks, Cat88. :)

I'm just worried about what the outcome could be. If I'm diagnosed with something, I wouldn't really want to be labelled 'disabled' when I'm perfectly able-bodied (but maybe not in the brain). It does worry me what employers will do and I imagine it would be hard to find a job later in life, that's what I'm scared about.

I also don't have anyone to tell about this. My parents don't believe me when I say there's something wrong with me, so I'm all on my own. :(
  • Options
    Cat88Cat88 Posts: 377 Listening Ear
    Thanks for the reply, that makes total sense :) and it's understandable that you would be nervous. Try not to worry about the future too much though - after all you will do your best if you're getting the right support, which I'm sure will help you succeed more than not having that.

The other thing is that you don't have to label yourself anything if you don't want to; you only have to tell who you want to tell. Just take every day as it comes.

Anyway, getting some results from this screening will let you know either way, and if there is something there you can talk to your parents better. Please don't think of it as something "wrong" though!

Keep us updated :)

• Options
    I've made the decision to tell my parents.
    I feel like I have to do in case I'm landed with a nasty surprise on Thursday. :(

Wish me luck. :)
  • Options
    DreaDrea Posts: 292 The Mix Regular
    Hey Teenaging,

As cat88 said, well done for acknowledging your struggle! It's a big step and you should be proud of yourself! A lotttt of people have ADHD and suffer from these disorders so please don't feel like you're the only one! A diagnosis can be helpful especially in deciding which step to take next. It's not your fault that you have these symptoms, and also well done for telling your parents about it as it clearly did bother you a little! Please feel free to comment here again! Would love to know how you're doing :) And if you feel you need to talk to someone about it, we as moderators can send you useful links to places where you can receive one on one advice and expert advice too! So don't hesitate to ask!

Have a great day!

Drea :)
  • Options
    Hi again. :)
    Thanks for the replies. :)

I had my screening today and I've been diagnosed with ADHD. :( Which sucks, but now it means its onwards and upwards at least.
    I haven't told my parents yet as I feel it would be best to have the screening done first, but it's been done now so I'll take it into consideration.

:)
  • Options
    DreaDrea Posts: 292 The Mix Regular
    Hey Teenaging,

Well done for going to your screening, you should be proud of yourself for plucking up the courage to go and as you said onwards and upwards is the best spirit to have! Tell your parents whenever you feel comfortable to and if you don't feel comfortable yet, that's perfectly fine! Hope you have a great day and please don't hesitate to post anything else you may have to say!

Drea :)