Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

College Troubles

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm a 19-year-old girl with epilepsy, cerebral palsy and autism and for the past 3 years I have been attending Hull College. Due to me walking with sticks, I am unable to carry my own backpack around the college campus independently unless I have a member of the Additional Learning Support carrying my backpack for me.

I recently moved to a Business Administration course and earlier this week and I really like my course, but earlier in the week I recognised one of the members of the ALS team who used to support me as one of her students that used to look after me, and she had recently been off work for several months and I saw in the cafeteria as I was waiting to go to my next class, everything was OK until this member of the ALS spoke to her colleague but not me, and I felt really upset and hurt by this because I have known this lady for 2 years and I don’t understand why she didn't talk to me.

I would like to tell my parents about this incident but I don't know how to explain it to them, and if you do have any good advice, please feel free to reply to me.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hello! (First of all, I LOVE beagles)
    Do you know for sure that she noticed you? Sometimes I look at someone and don't recognise them because I'm just looking their way but not actually paying attention :razz:

Maybe briefly mention to your parents that you happened to see the woman who used to look after you and that you two didn't speak when this happened. They might ask why, so you could just reply saying that you thought she had noticed you but might not have realised it was you, but that next time you will try to speak to her? I know this could be hard, but even saying something like that can make you more motivated to do it :)