Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How to cope with death caused by suicide?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm very new to this website and have no clue what I'm doing so I'm sorry for anything I do wrong, very sorry.

My father committed suicide in May this year and it is difficult to get my head around it. I have accepted it, as much as I don't want to, I do. The thought of someone being so depressed and alone makes me want to vom.
The past few months have been horrible but I have support and love around me that I am grateful for, but in the last few weeks I am either high or low. I am either down, crying my eyes out, mid-conversation with somebody (literally like talking about the weather or what I had for breakfast/ very irrelevant, non-crying subjects) or my heart is racing, and I'm scared and breathless and I have a panic attack (again, very irrelevant times). I don't know. I don't know how to get help because I don't know what's wrong or what to say, I don't know how to get back to doing my work, I don't know how to enjoy anything anymore.

I'm unsure how this works really so yeah, thanks for taking time to read this I guess.

Comments

• Options
    Jacob101Jacob101 Posts: 687 Incredible Poster
    Hello Emmarosemck,

Firstly i would like to say that i am so sorry for the loss of your father, we are all here to support you through whatever feelings you feel - we are right behind you every step of the way.

What you are feeling is normal, take each day as it comes and put aside time where you can be with your emotions because crying and feeling low is to be expected and are perfectly acceptable. - I lost my boyfriend to suicide just under 2 years ago and i wish i could tell you that it will get easier, you have just got to find ways to cope.

I have learnt that over the past few months that i shouldn't feel guilty for my friends passing, i was completely unaware of how bad he was feeling to take such drastic action - it will take time and you may even want to seek extra support from a counsellor or your GP.

Take it steady - look after yourself, this will be very difficult but we are all here for you.

Keep talking on here if it helps.
    ​Jessica *hug*
    ''You were in the wilderness
    Looking for your own purpose
    Then you became a butterfly, a butterfly
    I knew you always would''

- James Arthur (YOU)
  • Options
    Thank you so much Jessica:heart: I'm so sorry about you losing your boyfriend, I'm here to support you too x
  • Options
    Jacob101Jacob101 Posts: 687 Incredible Poster
    Thank you so much Jessica:heart: I'm so sorry about you losing your boyfriend, I'm here to support you too x

Aww thank you Emmarosemck x
    ''You were in the wilderness
    Looking for your own purpose
    Then you became a butterfly, a butterfly
    I knew you always would''

- James Arthur (YOU)
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,306 Part of The Furniture
    Hey Emma,

Just to add to Jess' lovely words, I wanted to ask whether or not you've had any bereavement support for your dad's passing?

Well done for reaching out to us here, and a warm welcome to the community. :wave: *hug*
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • Options
    Mike wrote: »
    Hey Emma,

Just to add to Jess' lovely words, I wanted to ask whether or not you've had any bereavement support for your dad's passing?

Well done for reaching out to us here, and a warm welcome to the community. :wave: *hug*

Sorry I have only just seen this reply, over the past few days I have been to see my GP and seen a lovely counsellor, as well as speaking to my guidance teacher. I decided I wanted to get help instead or pushing my problems to the side and denying that I needed help at all. I'm still struggling but I am glad I have made my problems clear to people who can help me get through this. Thank you x
  • Options
    Hi Emma,

It sounds like you've taken some really crucial steps to get some help and support for yourself, so well done you *hug* Sometimes just talking to those around you about what's going on can really help to lighten the intensity of those overwhelming feelings.

Have you spoken to anyone about getting some support with the panic attacks? We also have some information here on dealing with panic attacks, which may be of some use. There is also an organisation called Hope Again, who focus on supporting young people who have been bereaved.

You're doing so great - keep talking to us if you feel it helps :)