Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How do you, deal with stress (share your ways of coping)

One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
Hi guys who here likes stress???? no one? ok me either :P
unfortunately stress exists in our every day life known as good stress. Yes you heard right good stress!
These include our decisions in day to day life believe it or not that "should I or shouldn't I have the slice of cake" is just one example of day to day life stress. decisions need to be made and good stress includes the right amount to allow you to ponder the decision and decide without feeling overwhelmed. Stress can also trigger a life saving instinct known as the "fight or flight response" imagine you are standing on top of a hill and all of a sudden you see a big bolder coming towards you. what would you do? chances are you are running for all your worth without even needing to think "shall I run or just stand here to try and stop it?"

But sometimes stress can really get you worked up and you wanna punch someone in the face while screaming! this is bad stress!
But stop!!! before you hit that wall and bust your knuckles, smash you phone or punch the next person you see have a think about ways you can cope with stress without hurting yourself, someone else or your phone and no don't reach for the alcohol either!
There are plenty of ways you can relive stress symptoms in a positive risk and injury free way here are a few.

Punch a balloon- ok this may seem strange and I found this one by accident :P. a helium filled blood with its string weighed down by a weight or your foot so it cant get away and seriously just punch it as hard as you like the balloon will fly backwards but always come back for you to punch again. this on its own is quite stress reliving but you could always rant about whats wrong while your doing it to help get it all out.

walk, jog or run- There are days I'm so aggravated with myself or other things I need to get out of the house. The fresh air and a good brisk walk help me too feel more in control plus it grate for exercise :)

SCREAM AND SHOUT!!!- ​next time you are feeling over whelmed go into a quiet place on your own and let it all out seriously go on take a deep breath and scream.

​Talk it out- ​Find someone who is good at listening and just rant about what's wrong, even if that person doesn't know how to help letting someone let of steam is helping :)

​Hobby- ​Do what make you feel good whether it be curl up with a book, singing, dancing, acting, writing, watching a film. you name it,.the list is endless doing the things we enjoy can help the brain to boost the level of dopamine within the brain. dopamine is a chemical within the brain which trigger reward and pleasure with in the brain (if only they could bottle that stuff) p.s. Dopamine exists in everyone it is not a drug like I thought at first :P

​Punch a pillow- ​Sometimes a balloon isn't enough, this is where I punch my pillow sometimes if they aren't firm enough I get a couple together, stick them in one of my tops so they stay together and punch, punch, punch

these are the way I cope with stress what do you guys think? add your own too and share ideas

Comments

• Options
    LostsenseLostsense Posts: 1,329 Wise Owl
    Or just get on the stress heads app lol

I need more stress heads on my board though!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well I had a tuff time trying to figure out how to post, site was running me around in circles
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sometimes putting headphones in and turning up the music while reading a book can just take you away from everything for a bit which can really help if you are stressed.