Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Should I tell them and how...

One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
I wanna try keep it short, I was sexually bullied at high school both physically and verbally. I also met up with someone online and we made out but I wasn't 100% confutable with it although that was due to a big miss understanding. Anyway I never told my parents about this I was too scared. I did talk about it and receive counselling at college to help me with it all and Im doing fine now and am back to my normal self. This was 5 years ago but while I'm doing fine now there is still a bit of guilt from not talking to my parents about it.

Is this beat left in the past or should I still talk to my parents about what happened. If so how?
Its not affecting me any more but I feel awful for never telling them.

Thanks guys

Comments

• StephSteph Posts: 448 Listening Ear
    Hi One-in-a-million, :wave:

Thanks for posting this thread, you've done really well to share this with us here, sounds like a really difficult time for you to have gone through. Sounds positive to hear that you're doing fine and you feel back to your normal self. :) It's completely up to you whether you tell them, what's making you feel awful about not telling your parents about it?

• One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
    Hi steph thank you for repliying.
    I suppose I feel guilty about it because they are my parenta and I should be able to talk to thwm about anything. But I didnt due to being scared.

I know I aay I think I should but despite this being in the past now its still not that easy to just come out with. Then there is also the worry of stiring up old feelings. Ive settled now and its all just a bad memory (ive moved forward) and prehaps talking to my parwnts now might bring those feelings and thoughts back.

The other reason I didnt tell is because they can be over protective and I dont want them to over exadurate.

Prehaps it will upset them more telling them now anyway as They may wonder why I never went to them in the first place
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi Once in a million,

Perhaps you could try and tell them, but its up to you to decide. You shouldn't be feeling guilty about not telling them, they are your parents who love you dearly, and I am sure that if they knew what had happened to you they would be shocked. I haven t told my mum lots of things too as I know she will get judgemental and not understand how I feel. In this case I think telling her now wouldn't make much sense, but you would take it off your chest, which is relieving. Up to you :)
  • One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
    Hi hope93 thank you for your kind words, I am actually feeling better about it now. my reason for not telling them was due to them being over protective and I didn't want them to worry and get even more over protective (if that possible lol)
    ​thank you