Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

A bit of a health update (and hopefully some reassurance) from me

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
Hi all :wave:

This is a tricky post to write as so much has happened in the last few months - both in terms of my health and with YouthNet more generally - so it's hard to know where to start. However, I've known some of you longer than some of my best friends, so it's important to me to let you know what's going on - I've seen you all through some ups and downs and continue to do so - and although I'm a professional ;) I do respect you enough to trust you with this information.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer back in the summer. I didn't see it coming, but it does run in the family so wasn't entirely a shock. Luckily early intervention and good breast awareness means it was caught early - for those of you who might be familiar with terminology around this, it was stage two and it didn't reach my lymph nodes which was an incredible relief. So I had surgery fairly quickly to remove the tumour - the operation was successful and although I'm not fully recovered, I'll use that word lucky again - because that's really how I feel a lot of the time at the moment.

So right now I'm in the treatment stages to catch any remaining cells and to help prevent a recurrence. I've had my first dose of chemotherapy and unfortunately it's been a really rough ride. The good news I've been well looked after and the sessions happen in three week cycles, so I have low weeks and better weeks. I'm on my way to a better week as we hit Christmas which I couldn't be happier about.

What this does of course mean though is that I really have to work hard on my self care for the next 6 months while this treatment continues. Lots of healthy food, early nights and not over doing it at work. This means there will be times when I'm just not well enough to be around. Already you'll probably have noticed I'm not on the boards anywhere near as often - as that isn't just a health thing, that's also to do with my role at YouthNet, I do a lot more behind the scenes to help ensure projects are running smoothly and that we are meeting targets for funding. However, at this point - there may be weeks at a time when I'm not in chat/replying to PMs etc - please don't take it personally.

Finally though, if I AM online, that's because I'm well enough to be and so you needn't worry about me - it means I'm well and smiley and ready to rock in my TheSite hat :yes:

Thanks for reading lovelies. It really is a pleasure to work with you all and I look forwards to chats with you soon.

And now here's a video that will either make you laugh, or remind you of what a child I am. If no-one else appreciates it - I'm sure Emmy will...

Comments

• Options
    P.S feel free to ask me anything if something doesn't make sense or is confusing...
  • Options
    *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    I honestly don't have words right now. But sending you some *hug*s :heart:

So sorry to hear what you're going through.

:heart:
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oh Helen :( I'm so sorry. It's a horrible thing for anyone to go through but you really don't deserve this at all - and it's so sad to hear you're going through this. I'm sending so many hugs and so much love. I'm so glad it was caught early enough. You've supported us all through so much and gone above and beyond - it's out turn now. *hug* *hug* :heart:
  • Options
    *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Oh Helen :( I'm so sorry. It's a horrible thing for anyone to go through but you really don't deserve this at all - and it's so sad to hear you're going through this. I'm sending so many hugs and so much love. I'm so glad it was caught early enough. You've supported us all through so much and gone above and beyond - it's out turn now. *hug* *hug* :heart:

What butterfly said :heart:
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Options
    Sending love*hug*:heart:
  • Options
    apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    Helen, just wanted to send some *hug* s.

Hope you feel better soon xx
  • Options
    Thanks guys *hug* back at you.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that helen. Take care x
  • Options
    Jacob101Jacob101 Posts: 687 Incredible Poster
    Hello Helen,no one should have to go through what you are going through,sending lots of hugs your way, take care and look after yourself x*hug*:wave:
    ''You were in the wilderness
    Looking for your own purpose
    Then you became a butterfly, a butterfly
    I knew you always would''

- James Arthur (YOU)
  • Options
    HannHann Posts: 3,434 Boards Guru
    Oh Helen I'm sorry to hear you're going through this!!! *hugs* Want to give you and Jo big hugs irl but yall are so far away :P
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    I'm lost for words, I'm a terrible person to you like the majority of the time when I'm in a mardy, but you've done so much for me and this community as a whole, so news like this is honestly shocking. I originally came across this post when it didn't have any replies, I read it and my heart went out for you. But again, I didn't know how to respond, nobody should have to go through the agony of chemo or cancer for that matter, but no matter what, we will do whatever you need us to, too support you, I know there's like not a lot, but you mean the world to a hell of a lot of people on here, including me, even if I don't show it. Do keep us updated bae :heart:
  • Options
    Hi Helen, I may not know you half as well as what a lot of others do on here but have spoken to/heard from you a couple of times. I am so sorry and sad to hear what you are going through and dealing with and nobody should have to endure that at all.I hope the treatment isn't too painful for you and that you recover soon. I wish you all the best and sending lots of love and kind wishes your way :heart:
  • Options
    I'm lost for words, I'm a terrible person to you like the majority of the time when I'm in a mardy, but you've done so much for me and this community as a whole, so news like this is honestly shocking. I originally came across this post when it didn't have any replies, I read it and my heart went out for you. But again, I didn't know how to respond, nobody should have to go through the agony of chemo or cancer for that matter, but no matter what, we will do whatever you need us to, too support you, I know there's like not a lot, but you mean the world to a hell of a lot of people on here, including me, even if I don't show it. Do keep us updated bae :heart:

Really means a lot, thanks Whispers.
  • Options
    Hi Helen, I may not know you half as well as what a lot of others do on here but have spoken to/heard from you a couple of times. I am so sorry and sad to hear what you are going through and dealing with and nobody should have to endure that at all.I hope the treatment isn't too painful for you and that you recover soon. I wish you all the best and sending lots of love and kind wishes your way :heart:

Really kind, every message makes me smile.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Sorry to hear what you're having to deal with Helen - that's pretty shitty. Want to wish you a speedy recovery and very happy Christmas xx
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    **helen** wrote: »

Really kind, every message makes me smile.

That's lovely to hear-I really hope you are completely well and recovered again soon :) x
  • Options
    Thanks @Skive[/USER] has been a lovely chilled Chrimbo. [USER="90013"]AngelFace97 will hopefully start to feel fully better end of 2016 :)
  • Options
    **helen** wrote: »
    Thanks @Skive[/USER] has been a lovely chilled Chrimbo. [USER="90013"]AngelFace97 will hopefully start to feel fully better end of 2016 :)

That's good to hear Helen, we'll all be thinking of you x
  • Options
    apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    I wish you the best in your recovery Helen, thinking of you :heart:
  • Options
    Oh my word. Stay strong and make sure you look after yourself!
  • Options
    Hey Helen!
    Hope your doing ok! *hug*
    Keep strong and wish you well xxx

Lots of Love Xxxx
  • Options
    Aww, thanks Sonia - nice to hear from you :)
  • Options
    TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
    Oh bless you @Notagainvitelina - turban life for the win! Any website recommendations?

Just a wee update, I've finished chemotherapy prematurely because of the pressure it was having on my organs. So I'll be starting radiotherapy shortly - impressed with your knowledge.

Thanks for a great GC last night to you and all who attended.

**Helen**
    We're @Aife, @Ella, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 5pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
  • Options
    I hope you're doing okay Helen - you're so brave *hug* :heart:
  • Options
    I know this is an old post but @*BananaMonkey* has just been updating me because, as you know, I've been away for the last 15 months.

Wow Helen, I don't know what to say... This is a huge shock but nothing compared to how you must have felt when you first found out. I'm really sorry. These horrible diseases seem to hit the nicest of people. How are you doing now? How is the treatment going?

I really respect and admire your honesty with us all because you didn't need to be this open with us all. But we love you and we care! You do so much for us and now it's time to repay the favour.

Praying for you Helen and sending you lots of hugs xx
  • Options
    Hey BeckiBoo,
    Thanks for your reply, was pleased to hear from James and Co that you were back :yes:

All is well - I've finished my radiotherapy and now just getting used to the side effects of other medication I'll need to take for a good few years to keep the cancer at bay. Slowly getting back to normal :d All the messages I've had like this have really kept my spirits up - so big thanks to all! :heart:
This discussion has been closed.