Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Alcohol depencence and starting work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've had a drinking problem for nearly a year now and have become physically dependent on it. Over that time, I've either been at university or unemployed. I'm just about to start a new job, and have also just started recovery and treatment for my addiction. I'm really worried about what to do once I start working - I'm worried that if I have a drink before I come into work, they'll find out and I'll lose my job, but on the other hand because of how bad it's got, if I don't drink I'll be feeling ill, shaky, anxious etc all day and my performance would seriously suffer because of it.

I really don't know what to do, I'm going to talk to my support worker about it at our next appointment, but does anyone have any advice? Obviously I'm not planning to turn up to work hammered, I'd just have a beer or 2 before I go to get myself kinda normal. Also I'm worried about long shifts where it might start to wear off and I could start getting withdrawal symptoms, it's unlikely because I'm not at the point of being that bad yet, but in that case I'd have no idea what to do.

I really need this job, not just for money but for my own mental wellbeing, and actually I think it'll help me a lot in my recovery, but I'm so worried about losing it over this.

Comments

• StephSteph Posts: 448 Listening Ear
    Hi abizoey, :wave:

Thanks for posting this thread. Thanks for sharing what's been going on with us, sounds like it's a difficult situation to be in, it's really positive you're talking about what's going on here. How are you feeling about starting your new job? You were saying that you're worried about them finding out if you have a drink before you come into work and you're worried about losing the job. That sounds really tough for you. You were saying that you're going to speak to your support work about it at your next appointment. That sounds really positive, when's your next appointment with your support worker, is it before you start your new job? You were saying that you really need this job for your recovery and your own mental wellbeing. Sounds like you're thinking that it'll help with your recovery but you're concerned about having withdrawal symptoms during long shifts if it starts to wear off. Have you been able to talk to anyone else about your concerns at all?

Just so you know we also have group chats on Sunday to Thursday evenings from 8pm to 9.30pm where you can get support from other people about anything you'd like to talk about which might be useful. If you'd like to go to a chat you can join the live chat from this page

Hope this helps :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey @abizoey - just checking in to see how you're getting on?

How did the chat go with your support worker? :)