Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Epilepsy Diagnosis.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I don't know why but I've re-written this a million times, Its something really personal to me and its hard to talk about.

I've been having severe migraines for months now, To the point I've collapsed in pain on places like trains and I can't be in a bright room, I've had these for months but they were triggered off when I had a seizure in my bathroom one day when I overheated, I was taken to A+E but by the time I'd got there I'd come out of the seizure so the doctor told me to see my own GP, anyways later that day I had another seizure and didn't go to A+E, My doctor referred me for testing to see why I was having seizures, Since this day I've had quite a few more seizures, Tonic Clonic seizures and around 20+ Absence seizures a day. I went to my doctors yesterday to pick up my results and I've been diagnosed with Epilepsy, they originally thought I had a bleed on my brain but that ended up being clear.

So I've been given a seizure recording chart and I have to record every seizure i have including absences, Trouble is I'm not aware when I have them its when Sam when i come out of them is looking at me shouting my name and I'm just very confused. I've been given Epilepsy information packets and told I have to tell people like my manager and everything.

I feel like this is going way too fast, When i was younger for about a year I'd have guaranteed a seizure a month, my mum didn't have time to take me to the doctors so she just pushed it away, but reading my social services notes it sounds like they suspected for a years I was epileptic.

Just feeling pretty confused right now.

Comments

• Options
    louisa982louisa982 Posts: 294 The Mix Regular
    *hugs* It is very big news and for you to have to deal with it all so quickly is going to feel overwhelming! How are you feeling about being diagnosed? relieved or? I guess if you want to keep a full up to date chart then you might have to tell people as they need to tell you when you've had one (like with sam) Have they talked about any medication or treatment to help you? hugs again, sorry im not sure what to say but i'm here for you x *hug**hug*
  • Options
    apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    Sending *hug* s , can't imagine how you must feel!

Here to listen if it helps :heart:
  • Options
    Very sorry to hear this. My dad has epilepsy. Thankfully, they managed to control it very quickly, once realising that the problem wasn't his heart. (he just fell down a flight of steps one morning at work and appeared to stop breathing at home one evening) The side effects of the drugs (I have to take one for migraine - I've got asthma and can't take beta blockers which they'd normally give) are, however, pretty shitty. Your prescriptions will be free. Your GP needs to fill in a form.

I had epilepsy as a child. Because it happened at night, I was unaware of the whole thing and would just sleep. Apart from the one where I got up at some stupid hour, threw up and went back to bed. I appear to have grown out of them. However, I (as does dad) have a head injury as a result of falling.

Because you're banned from driving for a certain amount of time, (I'm not sure which way it goes - it's either 12 months and another 6 if you have another seizure during that time or the other way around) you can apply for a bus pass. Your council has more information on how this works.

If you do need someone to talk to, have you contacted the Epilepsy Society ?
  • Options
    I have contacted the epilepsy society they sent me an information pack for newly diagnosed people aswell as some cool ID cards, I have a bus pass already Ive had one for months, Which is cool I was learning to drive DVLA don't know I have epilepsy I'm kind of thinking about not telling them, I had another seizure today in my bathroom. I should avoid it, The majority of my seizures seem to be in my bathroom. Irony.

• Options
    Not telling the DVLA can get you into trouble. Some of the drugs can also cause problems with driving. What I take for example, (Topamax / Topirimate) causes drowsiness, insomnia and issues with tiredness.
  • Options
    One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 601 Incredible Poster
    Hi,I hope you're ok as it is a lot to take in, hopefully there should be medication you can take that can help reduce the seizures.
    Im sorry I'm not much heIp I'm sort of in the same situation and can sort of relate to what you're saying. I had mild West syndrome (a severe form of epilepsy) as a baby. With medication it seemed to go away but at the age of 15 I started have these funny turns. I would and still do feel spaced out and dizzy when having them sometimes the left side of my lips and arm will go numb or tingly and occasionally I've have trouble speaking (stuttering) the doctors said it was my migraines (I've had them since I was 9 and on medication) however more recently I've had a few were during the funny turn I've become confused or unable to carry on with what I was doing e.g. trying to cross a road, and as far as I know I've had one (suspected) tonic seizure. And now they are saying they think its epilepsy returned. I also record them but I'm normally aware of them. Again I've been told they will start medication if epilepsy is discover and in will need to be 2 years seizure free before they will consider me driving. There is no clear Patten I can have one and not have another for a few months, I can have a few within a couple of day or a few a day.

Hope you're ok
  • Options
    How have you been getting on @Redhead ? *hug*

• Options
    My seizures are getting worse.
  • Options
    One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 601 Incredible Poster
    Hi redhead have they put you on a treatment plan? I was given a final diagnosis of epilepsy last week its taken 5 years for this and although I've been having these seizures for 5 years its sill a shock to me knowing what they are. reading your message mine are not the same as I've only had one tonic seizure (as we know of) as I was not aware of this it was witnessed. I usually have an anxiety feeling followed by feeling spaced out like I've stood up to quick. sometimes I get numbness in my hands and I sometimes get problems with my speech during these seizures this is sometimes followed by confusion a to what I'm doing or where I am although Im aware of the seizure taking place.

I have spoken with the epilepsy society as I felt really confused about it all. It might be helpful to drop them an email. I hop your feeling ok and that they cn get them controlled soon
  • Options
    Starting my new medication today
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,319 Part of The Furniture
    Redhead wrote: »
    Starting my new medication today

How you feeling about it? :)
    The truth resists simplicity.
  • Options
    Mike wrote: »

How you feeling about it? :)

Sick
  • Options
    I'm kind of sick of not being able to remember things, even little things like did i eat. Where did I just put that...? What did they ask me to do, I actually can't remember anything, and i can't keep myself awake. I'm amazed when i manage too. This medication is awful. Seeing the epilepsy nurse tomorrow
  • Options
    Redhead wrote: »
    I'm kind of sick of not being able to remember things, even little things like did i eat. Where did I just put that...? What did they ask me to do, I actually can't remember anything, and i can't keep myself awake. I'm amazed when i manage too. This medication is awful. Seeing the epilepsy nurse tomorrow

Sounds really frustrating Redhead :(

How did it go with the nurse?

*hug*
  • Options
    raich wrote: »

Sounds really frustrating Redhead :(

How did it go with the nurse?

*hug*

She basically told me not to have a bath on my own because i could die </3
  • Options
    Doesn't sound like she gave you much help with your memory worries and the meds :(

And that advice, though practical, is a pretty scary image - I've edited it slightly as it was a little graphic and upsetting to think of.

Perhaps it's about not locking the door in the bath rather than the idea that you need to have company - or just letting someone know you're having a bath so that they can be aware of how long you take and check in that you're okay.

In terms of memory, would you be able to make notes of things you want to remember on your phone or a small notepad? Or, it might be worth just letting people around you know what's going on so that they won't be surprised if you're asking them twice about things. I know that doesn't stop it being really frustrating but it might just make things a little more bearable..

Is there any sense that this side effect is going to be long or short term?

Hope you're doing okay *hug*