Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Aspbergers Test - Pros and Cons

apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
Hi, as you probably already know from my other thread I am currently seeing a clinical psychologist for my mental health struggles. I felt it was best I made a thread specially for this, as it's a big decision for me to make.

I may have mentioned in the past I think I may have AS but I've never explored this with anyone. Well my psychologist broached me today and said some of the things I've mentioned make her suspect that I could have aspbergers syndrome. Obviously she emphasised that it's not definite, but I have been offered the option of a referral to the autism service, for testing. She recommended I think about it and tell her my thoughts next week. She emphasised that I can say no if I want, as some people do.

My feeling on this are quite mixed, a bit of relief as it could possibly explain many things about myself , but obviously nervous. I've not fully decided but I'm currently swaying more towards getting the test.

However I want to be better informed. I was wondering if anyone could recommend anywhere to give more info about AS, the testing and pros and cons to the testing. Also I've anyone has any experiences of AS , it's testing or both, I'd really be interested to hear.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've got Autism, which is similar. There's virtually no help for adults and I've been left to get on with it, despite having some pretty serious problems. But it has meant for me, I do have an explanation as to the issues I have.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    I've got Autism, which is similar. There's virtually no help for adults and I've been left to get on with it, despite having some pretty serious problems. But it has meant for me, I do have an explanation as to the issues I have.

Sorry to hear you aren't getting the help for your autism. To be honest I think I just want to know if I have it or not, so am thinking about taking it.

If I do have it, I would probably get similar support from the uni as I do now, but maybe it would help in some retrospects. Still getting therapy though so hopefully that will help me turn things around no matter the outcome.
  • Options
    apandav wrote: »

Sorry to hear you aren't getting the help for your autism. To be honest I think I just want to know if I have it or not, so am thinking about taking it.

If I do have it, I would probably get similar support from the uni as I do now, but maybe it would help in some retrospects. Still getting therapy though so hopefully that will help me turn things around no matter the outcome.

Yeah, I can see what you mean. With me, we all knew I had it, just wanted confirmation in writing.

I dropped out of uni just after getting diagnosed (because I just couldn't cope; but there were a lot of other unrelated problems) so can't comment on what help you'd get.
  • Options

Yeah, I can see what you mean. With me, we all knew I had it, just wanted confirmation in writing.

I dropped out of uni just after getting diagnosed (because I just couldn't cope; but there were a lot of other unrelated problems) so can't comment on what help you'd get.

I already get a mentor for anxiety, I know that the mentors are for both people with mh issues and autism/aspergrers- so if I was means I could continue with a mentor either way in the future.
  • Options
    @Melian Just wondering what's the diagnostic process like? (I know yours was more confirmatory, but just wondering)
  • Options
    [USER="27078"]Melian[/USER] Just wondering what's the diagnostic process like? (I know yours was more confirmatory, but just wondering)

It was a lot of questions basically about my childhood and observing how I interacted with him. And he asked my mum stuff too.
  • Options
    I have aspergers syndrome. There really isn't any help as an adult once you're diagnosed, but of course I'm just going off my experience.

I'm glad I do have a diagnosis because it does explain a lot but sometimes I do really struggle with it - I suppose it just makes me pretty angry with myself.

I do think you'll feel better knowing whether or not you have it, and the testing really isn't so bad.

Keep us posted :)
  • Options
    I found the testing quite stressful personally. But a huge problem for me is communication.
  • Options
    Honestly I'm not one to judge if I have it or not, but I've been looking at various sources and feel I can relate to a lot of stuff. I've wondered why I do certain things, and this could explain it. It's not just current stuff it also includes stuff from my childhood, it could explain. I saw a psychologist as a child via school and nursary voicing concerns, my parents weren't too keen on pursuing it. I had assessments from psychologist explain my difficulties and my mum still has the stuff, would it be useful to take with me to the test?

I've decided I'm going to take it, as I can't live life with a maybe.

It's going to probably be a while though as my psychologist said the waiting list is long, she mentioned something about inviting someone from the service to one of our sessions, but I'm not really sure the purpose??

Another thing is I plan to tell my parents next week, as it would make it easier to go to the appointment (mum always asks about my mail :/ )
  • Options
    Hey @apandav :wave:

It's great you're posting about this and working this decision through for yourself.

I just wanted to throw in a link to the National Autistic Society in case you hadn't heard of them. They're a charity and could be worth contacting with any questions you might have: http://www.autism.org.uk/get-involved/about-us/contact-us.aspx

Perhaps you could ask the psychologist next time you see her to explain a bit more if you're not sure of the purpose?

Keep us posted on how things are going and how it is talking to your mum.
  • Options
    The problem with those online tests is that they're not always that accurate. There's a lot of overlap with Autism / Aspergers and a lot of mental health problems. I, for example, was diagnosed with OCD and depression as a teenager.

A lot of it will be based on your childhood. So the stuff your mum has will be useful.
  • Options
    Jo7 wrote: »
    Hey [USER="95043"]apandav[/USER] :wave:

It's great you're posting about this and working this decision through for yourself.

I just wanted to throw in a link to the National Autistic Society in case you hadn't heard of them. They're a charity and could be worth contacting with any questions you might have: http://www.autism.org.uk/get-involved/about-us/contact-us.aspx

Perhaps you could ask the psychologist next time you see her to explain a bit more if you're not sure of the purpose?

Keep us posted on how things are going and how it is talking to your mum.

Thanks jo, found this helpful. Been emailing NAS about some things and it's been useful! :)

I was going to ask my psychologist more at my appointment yesterday but didn't have the guts to, I did confirm I'm going to take the referral though.

Unfortunately last minute I decided not to tell my parents, looks like I will tell them in 2 weeks (at my next therapy appointment, missing next week due to psychologists holidays)
  • Options
    The problem with those online tests is that they're not always that accurate. There's a lot of overlap with Autism / Aspergers and a lot of mental health problems. I, for example, was diagnosed with OCD and depression as a teenager.

A lot of it will be based on your childhood. So the stuff your mum has will be useful.

Yeah I understand, have done online tests out of curiosity but I have also came across things by typing things up, e.g. I found out my embarrassing habit is called stimmimg (I've been doing this as a child, and I found it strange so I looked it up). Also my psychologist said she thinks I might (without any knowledge that I've suspected it before) based on what I've told her in therapy.
  • Options
    I know I'm not diagnosed or anything but any advice for this (I think it could be a symptom of AS ):

Anyways, I'm very stressed out as I dislike change and my mum has told me I'm getting my room redecorated. I don't want it done as I like it the way it is and don't want change or disruption :( i know it seems trivial but I'm very upset by this. She said I could choose how I decorate my room but that doesn't make me feel any better, I like my room the way it is! She said you need to change your room at least every 5 years and it's been 5 years since I last had it done. I don't understand , you'd think she'd prefer me saying no as it saves her money :( I am very stressed and upset, like how do I cope?

It's my space ,my only space entirely my own so I feel very intruded on!!!!
  • Options
    I know I'm not diagnosed or anything but any advice for this (I think it could be a symptom of AS ):

Anyways, I'm very stressed out as I dislike change and my mum has told me I'm getting my room redecorated. I don't want it done as I like it the way it is and don't want change or disruption :( i know it seems trivial but I'm very upset by this. She said I could choose how I decorate my room but that doesn't make me feel any better, I like my room the way it is! She said you need to change your room at least every 5 years and it's been 5 years since I last had it done. I don't understand , you'd think she'd prefer me saying no as it saves her money :( I am very stressed and upset, like how do I cope?

It's my space ,my only space entirely my own so I feel very intruded on!!!!

Never heard that before. Why does she say you need to change it?
  • Options
    Hey apandav,

Really good to hear that you've found it helpful getting in touch with the NAS via email :yes: You've also taken a really brave step in deciding to take the referral; how are you feeling about it?

Your feelings about not wanting to change your room are valid. You are dealing with a lot right now, and it's understandable that making a change in your space, where you feel comfortable can cause you to feel upset and stressed. I wonder if you have tried explaining to your mum how it's making you feel?
  • Options

Never heard that before. Why does she say you need to change it?

Probably just me being stupid as usual :/ because I've not had it decorated in 5 years, apparently according to my mother you must re-decorate at least every 5 years
  • Options
    raich wrote: »
    Hey apandav,

Really good to hear that you've found it helpful getting in touch with the NAS via email :yes: You've also taken a really brave step in deciding to take the referral; how are you feeling about it?

Your feelings about not wanting to change your room are valid. You are dealing with a lot right now, and it's understandable that making a change in your space, where you feel comfortable can cause you to feel upset and stressed. I wonder if you have tried explaining to your mum how it's making you feel?

I'm nervous, but there's no point thinking about it right now as my psychologist said the waiting list is long, no idea how long she means though :/ but yeah I just need to go with an open mind, answer any questions and see how it goes.

I really feel so pathetic posting things that seem trivial on here when people have far worse things going on, but i think I just as you said have a lot going on, sometimes silly things like this make me sad. I just like want my space to be my space. My mum also said your getting a bookshelf, I don't want a bookshelf in my room :( like why? I don't have the room, and I ain't getting rid of my bedside table, I like having it.

Also I think it might be partly cause I want to be more independent and feel like I'm being treated as a kid, being told that my room will be getting done, even if I get to decide. But can't my decision be to keep it the same way :(
  • Options
    I can't say I'd be too happy either. My room (at my parents house) was only decorated because I'd swapped rooms with my brother and what he had was a bit boyish. I was obviously aware and knew it would be happening.
  • Options
    AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,031 Boards Guru
    Hi Apandav,

What you are saying is really understandable. From reading your posts it seems like you are going through a lot. The idea of changing your room seems to be adding a lot of stress to your life. A lot of people find it difficult when our mums want to make decisions for us. Some people find compromise a good way to resolve parent problems like this. That way you can keep some things in your room how you like it :). What do you think?
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • Options
    Aife wrote: »
    Hi Apandav,

What you are saying is really understandable. From reading your posts it seems like you are going through a lot. The idea of changing your room seems to be adding a lot of stress to your life. A lot of people find it difficult when our mums want to make decisions for us. Some people find compromise a good way to resolve parent problems like this. That way you can keep some things in your room how you like it :). What do you think?

Thanks for your reply. Yeah I guess it's a good idea, but the main things like wallpaper will be getting changed :/ assuming I'll still keep my bed etc. Especially as I got a new bed not too long ago
  • Options
    Update: Psychologist is writing a report to the autism service- hopefully the referral from her is accepted (don't see why it wouldn't be, especially considering I have evidence from childhood that may also indicate it).....the waiting list is approximately 7 months :/ kinda long, but to be honest I thought it would be much longer!!

I went to an autism group last saturday (an informal one, on meetups- people who aren't officially diagnosed but suspect it can also join the group), I felt I could really relate to the people there and I'm glad I went. Also been to a mental health meet up group a few times, and I also find that beneficial (I have anxiety).