Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

University

apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
edited March 27 in Work & Study
So it's nearing the time of year, when the new term begins for many universities.

Thought it would be a good idea to create a thread, to post absolutely anything about university- where your a fresher or returning for a new year of study!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I'm studying biomedical science at university.

Just got my timetable, I need to choose 2 elective subjects: from my list I'm particularly interested in "forensic science" , "use and abuse of drugs in society" , "herbal medicine" and "pharmaceutical sciences & drug development" . At the moment I'm swaying towards "forensic science" (looks really interesting) and either "use and abuse of drugs in society" or "pharmaceutical sciences & drug development", but "herbal medicine" also looks interesting. Hmm.... they all sounds so interesting!!!
  • Options
    Not long now for me..... Freshers is next week :)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't have anywhere to live, term starts on Monday, none of my documents are sorted because I don't have a printer or time to do anything apart from look for somewhere to live, the online timetable for this year hasn't been put up so I chose my classes at random and have no idea if they clash..I feel like I'm going to explode from stress :):)
  • Options
    I don't have anywhere to live, term starts on Monday, none of my documents are sorted because I don't have a printer or time to do anything apart from look for somewhere to live, the online timetable for this year hasn't been put up so I chose my classes at random and have no idea if they clash..I feel like I'm going to explode from stress :):)
  • Options
    grace wrote: »

Hope it all works out okay!
  • Options
    meggles wrote: »
    Anyone else had serious issues with student finance?

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Have you tried phoning them? Hope it all works out for you :)

Personally, I don't know anything about student finance, as I live in Scotland and it's different here.
  • Options
    Moving out today! Exciting times :)
  • Options
    ninaballet wrote: »
    Moving out today! Exciting times :)

Woop woop :) happy moving!!

Am I the only one who is not staying at halls? I'm just commuting from home to uni, it's only 30mins on the express bus.
  • Options

I rang them lots lol they lost my evidence (we have record of it) mum sent them it again and they lost it again. I start uni this time next week and I have no money as I still haven't been approved by student finance...the clock is ticking

That sounds really annoying and very unprofessional! I would make a complaint if I were you. Hope it gets sorted in time for you starting uni :) are you moving out?
  • Options
    I've complained 2 times. And yeah I move out...I move like 4/5 train ride away from home

Sent from my SM-A300FU using

That's crap about the student finance! Hopefully things are sorted in time for uni :)
  • Options
    Incredibly nervous this morning...... going to some freshers events in the afternoon! It's very outwith my comfort zone, but I'm going to try and put a brave face and act confident (not too confident though, just not act nervous and shy). I'm going to talk to people and not hide away in the corner. I need to do this!

Anxiety was super high this morning, was reading my university emails and guides...... all so overwhelming and scary. I have this worry I haven't done something before uni, which I am supposed to do! I got very panicky at one point and started breathing very fast...... but tried hard to remeber my mindfulness and what I've learnt in CBT. I am very nervous and scared about everything- not just meeting people but university work. Reading up on things beforehand is overwhelming for me. I need to remind myself I haven't started classes yet, things will get easier with time.

Was texting my friend this morning (who is in 2 year of uni now) asking her what should I wear etc. - I just have this fear I will be the odd one out. I know everyone is different, personality wise but I fear judgement.

Nervous is an understatement!!!!
  • Options
    Going to take these herbal tablets - "theanine and lemon balm complex" (only used them the odd time for tests so not sure if they will be helpful). Mum was encouraging me to take them last night but I didn't (as I wasn't sure if they interact with citalopram (my antidepressant which my parents are unaware that I take). I've checked online and it seems safe to take them, so I will.
  • Options
    louisa982louisa982 Posts: 294 The Mix Regular
    Will be starting uni in 2016 and i worked out my total loan would be £51,000 and i would have to pay back over £90,000 .how scary is that!!!!
  • Options
    Not even started uni and I already want to leave thanks to student finance

Sorry to hear meggles :( How's uni going besides that?
  • Options
    louisa982 wrote: »
    Will be starting uni in 2016 and i worked out my total loan would be £51,000 and i would have to pay back over £90,000 .how scary is that!!!!

That's so expensive :O what are you wanting to study?
  • Options
    Only bought one book for uni...... £42 (that's discounted price) and 1000 pages - heavy and costly! Half of the stuff isn't even relevant to my course, it's just a general biology textbook!
  • Options
    First day of classes on Monday, so many buildings on campus, such a big city lol :p
  • Options
    Classes start next week for me :)
  • Options
    Currently sitting at a computer in the student library- trying to write an essay plan due for tomorrow (I just realised last night).

I'm so confused and I don't know what to do :( ....
  • Options
    Deep breath.

You have time.

Keep it simple and maybe start with some bullet points?

• Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Just wanted to drop in Apandav to see how University was going for you? - I found the first year of universities to be quite daunting and it is VERY different to sixthform/college and a massive leap up. But you'll get through it, if I can get through it, so can you <3 - Do you get any support from University, work related etc? Or can you ask for support? Like we have a student help desk when you can arrange sessions to go over work and how you should lay it out and stuff, not sure if that's an option at your university.

How is your accommodation? How are those in your flat?

Keep us updated @apandav :3

Best wishes,
    WhispersOfTheHeart
  • Options
    Whispers university is generally going well. My uni are so helpful between student counselling, my mentor and the nurse at student health. I meet my mentor weekly and she helps me plan my work, as well as sometimes just talk about how I feel. Counselling at uni has almost finished but they have agreed to give me a few extra sessions over the holidays to bridge my gap / wait until my next psychology appointment. Then thereafter I will be getting help from CMHT.

Oh and honestly the nurse at student health really goes out her way. She's been there at my worst and helped me get the help I need. She even went with me in a taxi to the GP that time I had an emergency appointment. I often pop down and it's good to chat, she says I can come down to see her whenever I feel like. she is very supportive and gives good advice. Infact I was there when I was very low on Friday, she sat with me for two and a half hours until I spoke to crisis team and started to feel a bit better.

Then my mentor lets me text her out with our meet ups. I feel guilty as she gets paid to meet me but even when I don't text her, she always send me a text here and there to see how I'm doing.

Like I don't know what I'd do without my uni, all these individuals have went over and above what is needed. I feel guilty but they are always happy to chat with me.

Also had a situation , where I've had to get an extension. A few of the academic staff are aware too, but they have been very pleasant , even in emails. Telling me not to worry about the work too much and they are glad I'm getting help etc.

I'm staying at home with my parents and communting 30mins on the bus to uni. It's challenging living with my parents right now.
  • Options
    It's great to hear you're getting such great support at Uni apandav :yes:

You know that you can always post here whenever things are getting tough at home or uni too *hug*
  • Options
    raich wrote: »
    It's great to hear you're getting such great support at Uni apandav :yes:

You know that you can always post here whenever things are getting tough at home or uni too *hug*

Thanks Raich!

Honestly I feel I get more support at uni. than outside tbh, but Im not complaining!!!
  • Options
    hey amanda. :)
    hope that your chirstmas break is going well !
    Im at uni as well i study biology with forensics.
    have you any exams this term? if so good luck
    are you excited to start next term ?

• Options
    turtle09 wrote: »
    hey amanda. :)
    hope that your chirstmas break is going well !
    Im at uni as well i study biology with forensics.
    have you any exams this term? if so good luck
    are you excited to start next term ?

Hi turtle,
    Thanks, hope your enjoying your break too!
    Oh your course sounds very interesting :)

Normally I would have exams but I don't have any this semester. There's one exam for my course in January but I'm exempt (due to my AH I got in school). All my other classes have exams in semester 2 (apart from practical which is ongoing class tests and I did a report which is getting assessed).

Yes I can't wait to go back to uni, I've got new classes which I'm really looking forward to starting. Also I have two elective classes (we have to choose 2) which I'm really looking forward to - introduction to forensic science and use and abuse of drugs in society. Then in my other class we are going to start learning some anatomy type stuff (my favourite part of biology). Then I have my core chemistry class, which I like but I'm much more of a biology person lol

What about you - any exams, you looking forward to the new term?

What year are you in?

Good luck for your exams :)

Amanda
  • Options
    Hey yeah i have a couple of classes. second :) thank you have a lovely week
  • Options
    My concentration is so bad, im genuinely worried particularly about this one specific class where there is a lot of info to remember and its very confusing and now i want to give up on trying to do it as its difficult!!!
    :/
    I did well at school, but back then my concentration was so much better!!