Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How old is too old?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
After being made redundant 3 years ago, I've just been sat on my arse staring at my computer screen playing games from 8-9 til 10:30 or 1am the next morning.........I'm fed up.

I worked in a chocolate factory for 10 years previously.

I'm sick to death doing NOTHING about my life....... I'm worried about the future......especially with money.........The previous employer won't take me back.

What can I do at the age of 31!????

I want to begin a new career in something but I don't know what...I am very much interested in photography and wildlife, but photography is a no go career and I won't make much money each day....it all depends on how good my images are...also my gear could be better as 2 lenses I have don't focus properly. I could go on a wildlife photography course but they're expensive........the other idea I had was to get involved in conservation....but the money isn't all that great.

I don't know what to do.......Also if I say to the job centre that "I need help in going after the job/career of my dreams" I'm worried that they'll just say that they can't help... because they're absolutely rubbish...before they moved buildings or at least the first time I started looking for a job 14 years ago, they were helpful but now they seem to be crap at helping people.

What can I do????

Comments

• Options
    Are there any courses in your local college or adult learning centre?

There are opportunities for this out there and learning and new careers creating/finding is something a person is never too old for!;)
  • Options
    I'm not going back to college as all the courses I want to do cost in the region of £8k

I'm seriously considering volunteering in the Highlands in March. If I enjoy it, then my goal my be set in what I want to do as a career
  • Options
    Have you looked into it though? As you may already know, when you are in receipt of specific incomes and/or benefits, the cost of a course will be lower.

Volunteering sounds like a good idea and something which may help you to decide. x
  • Options
    I've looked at the courses and they are not in the field of photography that I want to do. I'm interested in landscape, macro and wildlife photography.

I sent an email to the place in Scotland about the weeks volunteering. If I can get some positive answers to a handful of questions I had, I will be going. I've also messaged two places much closer to home about volunteering.

Wish I did this 3 years go or I might not be sat here on my pc every day!
  • Options
    I'm 32 in April.

Thanks for your input Whowhere, I already know about the pros and cons of having photography as a career. It's something to think about anyway. I wouldn't get involved in wedding/portrait shoots as it's just not my thing. Landscapes, macro and wildlife is my main goal. I'm not really thinking about photography as a career just yet.
    I would be better at taking images if I got out there every day, but I just don't bother.

I've decided not to volunteer in the Scottish Highlands as it's too far to travel/drive. I'm now concentrating on closer RSPB reserves. The furthest being Loch Lomond (which is better than the Highlands!!)
  • Options
    Never think back to the past events in life,if you can help it.As it will certainly not help a situation at all really.

Keep looking-Something will definitely come up for you x
  • Options
    Have you tried your local wildlife trust? They tend to have good volunteering opportunities too and I wonder if you might find a trust that has a blog - you could use your passion for photography to help them promote the work that they do for example? Just an idea! I know a lot of the RSPB reserves have blogs for each reserve with volunteers posting about the wildlife that's been seen or what's been going on at the reserve.

Charity work often isn't well paid but doing something you enjoy and having less money can often be more rewarding :)

There are plenty of facebook groups too if you're on facebook where people share their wildlife photography - it might help you find the motivation to get out more taking pictures. These early morning frosts are stunning lately!
  • Options
    For the moment, I'm not looking in to photography. But thanks though and I'm also looking at every charity to do with wildlife and conservation.
  • Options
    Good Luck with finding something x