Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Why am I so obessed with race?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So In Middle School in was bullied one time a guy told me "you're a foreign exchange student from Mexico" despite being born in the states, that comment really affected me, so starting in the 8th grade, I found out that Hispanic is not a race, but a ethnicity, so I wanted to study my own race, I assumed "Caucasian" because of my Mediterranean features, starting High School I started confronting other people on their race, in 10th grade, It got even worse, starting my 11th grade year, I got to the point where 95% of my thinking was about nothing but race, I try doing everything, but I'm way to obsessed with this topic, I can't find a cure, this is probably one of the most touchy subjects people can ever talk about, I need help!

Comments

• Options
    SarahRSarahR Posts: 213 Trailblazer
    Hi thealan360

It sounds as though you're struggling with ideas about race to the point where it's become a bit of an obsession. Obsessive thoughts can arise on all kinds of subjects for all kinds of reasons and they can be very difficult to manage. If you feel that your behaviour as a result of these thoughts has become compulsive (ie you feel you have to do it), it could be that you have a form of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. There's a bit of information about OCD here, but it's important to see a doctor rather than to self-diagnose.

When dealing with obsessive and intrusive thoughts, it can help to talk them through with a counsellor to try and reduce their frequency and look at why they're happening.

I'll also give you a link to Reach Out which is for young people in the USA. Because TheSite.org is for 16 - 25 year olds in the UK, we may not be able to signpost you to relevant support services.

I hope this is helpful

SarahR