Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Reassurance needed....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting :) After reading the support and guidance offered from other writers I decided I needed it in my life to hopefully give back and to gain support when needed by you friendly lot.

So here goes..

I recently left my secure job due to the challenging nature and feeling like I could not deal with the stresses in my personal life and the need to put on a brave face when inside your dying from sheer lack of support from management. I needed some time off so I went to the doctor and she signed me off for 2 weeks, I knew by this point that I wasn't going to return so I decided to hand my notice in. One of my managers was really supportive at first and told me to get a sick note up until my notice had ran out... so I had been at home for 5 weeks desperately trying to find another job.

Its coming up to Christmas and this year is even more special.... my boyfriend and I are celebrating our 10 year relationship on Christmas day so we are flying out to the states - something I should be desperately excited about... but I'm not :( You see I suffer with perfectionism and due to not having a secure job that pays well (I am currently working temporarily in admin on £7.00 an hour) I feel like I cannot be happy.

I should feel extremely lucky and so excited for this festive period but because I know things aren't how I want them to be I'm currently sitting at my desk feeling depressed even with just 6 days to go into we fly out! I feel so guilty towards the rest of the population that are worse off than me that it makes it worse because I know I am very fortunate but I cant help the way I feel I suppose.

Close ones around me cannot tell me enough that I need to stop putting pressure on myself and things will work out but because this is such a huge milestone for my boyfriend and I who I so desperately love I know I should be happy and not thinking about what will come when we return into the new year.

I have never been one to sit back and expect good things to come but I have worked so hard on the job front, I have had 3 unsuccessful interviews which I so desperately wanted and now I just feel like shouting from the roof tops 'WILL SOMEONE GIVE ME A BREAK!'

Please can somebody offer some reassurance or atleast a slap back into reality...

Yours,
Nee x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey nee,

Welcome to TheSite boards, it’s great that you’ve found us :) I have moved your thread over to our Work & Volunteering section.

I’m sorry to hear you’re going through a tough time at the moment – it sounds like unemployment is really taking its toll on you. It’s not a great position to be in when you don’t want to be, especially during the festive period when you want to feel secure and happy.

I’m sorry your interviews have been unsuccessful, they can be really nerve-wracking and feeling down or unhappy makes it even harder, but hopefully you can learn from each experience so you can do even better next time :yes: Sometimes if we haven’t had an interview for a while it can leave us a little rough around the edges as well – we do have some interview tips here which might be worth having a read of just to refresh yourself, as well as some advice on coping with unemployment. You may also be interested in taking a look at this app called Motimator :)

Have you been able to confide in your boyfriend about how you are feeling with this? Perhaps once you get away it might ease the stress – sometimes a change of scenery really helps :) It’ll be nice for you to have a relaxing festive period and will hopefully leave you feeling refreshed when you return. It seems like it’ll be a well-deserved break after working so hard – and having a little faith that an opportunity will come along when the time is right *hug*

Wishing you all the best and a lovely break in the US :)