Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Shameful misuse of my photo on your site

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in Help Desk
I have joined this forum in order to complain about the misuse of one of my photos. I'm referring to the photo that accompanies the article "Legal highs almost killed me", here: http://www.thesite.org/drink-and-drugs/legal-highs/legal-highs-almost-killed-me-13871.html

I have already complained to TheSite using the contact form, and to YouthNet using their contact form. And I have put in a complaint to the Charities Commission. Nothing has been done. So I've come here to make all of your members aware of the problem.

I publish my photos under a Creative Commons licence so that anyone may use them without having to pay royalties. And this works to everyone's benefit, for the most part. However, the young lady in the photo in that article has complained to me about its use in the context of drug-taking. The inclusion of the photo on that page, and especially the caption, "I couldn't stop being sick", makes it look as if the young lady in question has or has had a drug problem. She only knew about it because a friend of hers told her about it. I agree with her that it is a serious misuse of my photo and of her image.

I have requested that TheSite take the photo down immediately and issue an apology. I have requested that YouthNet look into the problem and deal with it appropriately. This was back on the 17th October and still nothing has been done about it.

This is shameful behaviour on the part of whoever is responsible for this site. It not only makes the young lady look bad, it makes the site and the charity look bad. You're supposed to be helping young people, not vilifying them. Before I go public about this I want to give you one more opportunity to take the photo down and issue an apology to the subject of the photo, which I guarantee to pass on to her.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi there Garry,
    Unfortunately here on TheSite support community we're unaware of any previous contact you've made to YouthNet. However, for reasons of courtesy I have spoken to our content team here at YouthNet and they will now be replacing the image given the distress caused to both you and the young woman concerned - that is in process as I type.

On behalf of YouthNet, we're very sorry for the impact this has had, and hope that this matter is now resolved.

If you would like any further conversation with us at YouthNet, then please email [email protected] or send me a private message.

I'm now closing this thread.

Regards,
    Helen

This discussion has been closed.