Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Any questions about how to cope with cyber-bullying?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi everyone, my name is Oliver. I'm currently studying my second year of A levels with the goal of studying law at University. I am currently training to teach swimming (having been a swimmer myself) and have previously worked as a chef including running my own event catering and winning Rotary Young Chef award for the district. Over the past year I have had the honour of being a member of ALL RISE Say No to Cyber Abuse, and I am currently a youth representative and work alongside the legal team.

ALL RISE has just launched their new website, along with a competition which YOU can enter head on over to our website to check it out, it's got some seriously cool stuff, and the prizes for this competition are wicked cool.
http://www.allrisesaynotocyberabuse.com/

Feel free to ask me about any concerns regarding cyber abuse or what you can be doing support ALL RISE and to stand up against it. Over the next few days I am going to be watching over the threads concerning cyber abuse and my real question is whether we can unveil the enormity of consequences for the both the victim and perpetrator. I will also be on the live chat on Wednesday night at 6.45 discussing bullying, hope to hear from lots of you there!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey Oliver, welcome!

Great to see you made it on to our community here and to hear your passion for support around cyber-bullying :thumb:

I'm going to move your thread over into our Health & Wellbeing forum so that if people have any questions about how to cope with online abuse then they can ask them on this discussion thread as being able to know what to do and how to cope all feeds into our wellbeing and mental health too.

:yes:
  • Options
    Jacob101Jacob101 Posts: 687 Incredible Poster
    How do you get past what they said and not take it to heart?
    ''You were in the wilderness
    Looking for your own purpose
    Then you became a butterfly, a butterfly
    I knew you always would''

- James Arthur (YOU)
  • Options
    apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    Say someone relieved emails from the bully - they called the victim names and degraded them. Yet in the same email said "I care about you" and made some nicer comments to reel them in. What's the best way to notice that it is bullying?

I only ask, as I got into a situation where I believed someone was my "online friend". I got so upset and down by the comments made. One day I told a friend and they had to point out to me it was bullying. I was called names and nasty comments were made- made me feel like a bad person, undeserving, a burden to my parents. Yet I was made to feel guilty, like I've done something wrong. I was called some nasty things. But the thing that kept me attached was "I'm your friend, I care about you". It took a lot to break that contact and I would never have, if my "real" friends didn't convince me to.

And (as people asked) - how do you get over cyber bullying?