Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

We're pruning ancient threads to make TS quicker

JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
edited January 2023 in Help Desk
Pruning-When-to-Use-a-Lopper-vs-Pruner-vs-Shears-hero-edited--13964.jpg

Hey everyone,

We've been looking at various ways to improve the speed of the boards. They've been pretty slow since the upgrade and we're determined to fix that!

So!

One of the things we're trying is to get rid of some really old threads. There are over 2 million posts on the boards dating all the way back to at least 2001! As No-one reads most of them anymore, and the people who posted them have (mostly) moved on long ago. By removing some, we should be able to make things speedier!

This won't affect the vast majority of you (apart from hopefully making it quicker to post), but one or two of you veterans might see your post counts shrink a little over the next week or two.

I hope that all makes sense!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi James,

Wow, I didn't realise how old this service actually is and I wished I'd joined sooner if I had the knowledge it was here!

AngelFace97
  • apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    Wow, that's so long- I started primary school in 2001 lol :p !!

Congrats to thesite for lasting over 10 years!!!!
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I've been looking for threads and had trouble finding them. That explains things. Makes me feel a bit sad. :(
    Not that bothered about my post count though.
    Weekender Offender 
  • JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Hey Skive,

Yep, that'd be why. It's not ideal really, but it should help improve server performance.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Noooooo! You can't do that! You can't delete the shite I posted under a different username fifteen years ago :(
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Bit sad to see these threads disappear - sometimes I go back and have a look and get all nostalgic.
    Almost 15 years. Seems crazy now thinking about how I was back then and my life now.
    Weekender Offender