Home Community Announcements
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Expert chat: Dealing with stress (Tuesday 27th Oct, 6:45 - 8pm)

JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
63TX97k.jpg?1

Feeling anxious or tense? Do you have deadlines coming up, exams to prepare for or big decisions that need making?

From that tight stomach feeling through to headaches and wanting to snap at people, stress is a right pain and can be pretty tough to handle.

As you might have seen in the stress-busting playlist thread, we're teaming up with vInspired to tackle stress head on. So on Tuesday (the 27th of October, 6:45 - 8pm) we're running a special expert chat all about dealing with stress. This is your chance to ask for stress-busting tips and advice around managing the things that make you feel like curling up into a ball / putting your head in the sand / wanting to hit something (delete as appropriate!)

Here are the details:

Who'll be answering my questions?
uSPBPDj.jpg
Rachel Stroud
Rachel heads up vInspired's Do Something UK programme, setting up campaigns that make it easy for 14-25s to make a difference on the things they care about. Right now she’s working on Skip the Stress, a campaign to help fight study stress with friendship and music.

Rachel’s favourite ways to de-stress are to run quite far quite slowly, and make origami dinosaurs.
@rachelstroud

tVuLOuQ.jpg
Petra Velzeboer
Petra Velzeboer is a Counsellor and a Life Coach with a MSc in Psychodynamics of Human Development. She works part time at Get Connected setting up their free telephone counselling service and runs her own private therapy and coaching practice in south London. Over the past years she has worked with YoungMinds on their mental health campaign, as a School Counsellor at City of London Academy and with Catch22 with young offenders. She believes that every young person should have a say in how their services are run and that mental health should be on the curriculum.

What kinds of things can I ask?
This session is a great chance to get advice about anything related to things that make you stressed and how to cope with that stress. That could be anything from college/school/uni work, exams, your job (or lack of), big decisions you're having to make or anything else that's making you feel tense.

How will the chat work?
Like all expert chats, this will be open to everyone. The moderator (me) will ask the room who has a question and then ask you to take it in turns to put them to our experts. You'll also be more than welcome to chip in by sharing experiences and ideas that might be helpful to others.

You will be able to log in as normal on the night in the usual place: http://www.thesite.org/chat/live-chat

What if I can't make it but I have a question?
We can accept questions in advance and ask them on the night, however live questions will take priority. If you have a question you'd like answered then please message me with it.

Comments

• Options
    Just a reminder that this is happening tomorrow folks :)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aww I wanted to come but I'm working, which ironically is the main reason for my stress aha.
  • Options
    Hey @Redhead,

Just a reminder that you can message James with a question you might like answered if you can't make it - although live questions take precedence, it may still be answered :chin:
  • Options
    This chat is happening tonight. Everyone is welcome :)

If you can't make it but have a question, feel free to send it to me beforehand and I'll try and get it answered ;)
  • Options
    apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    Think I'll come to this tonight, could use some tips on how to manage stress, especially after starting uni.
  • Options
    It'll be good to have you there apandav :)
  • Options
    We're opening in about 15 mins.
    See you there!
  • Options
    We're open!
  • Options
    I will be fine one min and then get so overwhelmed and upset and i dont know how to control my anger and frustration what can i do
  • Options
    I dont know how this site works anyone mind helping me i want to chat in this group
  • Options
    Hey @trying1025,

I've noticed you're new here - welcome to TheSite :wave:

Take a look at the Start Here section - it has some useful stuff to get you going.

It sounds like you're overwhelmed with some intense emotions at the moment *hug*

You can come over and post a new thread in the Health & Wellbeing forum if you like! We are here for you :yes:
  • Options
    Hi @trying1025

Welcome!
    Raich has posted some great links there, which are all worth a look.

This thread (/conversation) is about a live chat that happened yesterday from 6:45 to 8pm. The live chats we run don't happen here, but in our chatrooms, which you can access through our Live Chat page (when chat is open). That page also tells you about other live chats we run (and there's even more info here). In fact, we're running a support chat tonight from 8 to 9:30pm, which you're welcome to come to. Just head to the Live Chat page any time from 8 to 9:30pm and click the 'join' button :)