Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

friend using drugs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My friend has been using drugs to block things out and I'm at a point where I'm beyond worried. I don't know what to do though - allow them to learn from their own actions or should I take control? I'm just trying to do what's right.

Comments

• SarahRSarahR Posts: 213 Trailblazer
    Hi butterfly

It sounds like your friend has been exhibiting some concerning behaviour due to their reliance on drugs. Wanting to stop the people we care about from harming themselves is natural and it sounds like you're doing the right thing in wanting to seek support.

Sadly, there isn't a straightforward way to stop someone from using drugs. We have a few articles on TheSite about this and as this one states: "When someone is taking drugs, the choice to stop must be made by them." Trying to stop because someone else wants you to or because you feel guilty, is likely to be ineffective and may put the relationship under too much strain.

Have you asked your friend whether they want to try and cut down or stop taking the drugs? Opening up a conversation with them might be a good way to help them see it's not a healthy choice for them and to consider alternative coping mechanisms. You could also provide them with some information about the particular drugs they take and the effect on their health. Ultimately, the decision is theirs but they'll know that you want to help them and have their best interests at heart.

This article may also be helpful in providing you with some tactics for talking to your friend. Offering them the chance to talk to you about things that have been difficult might help them to see there are better ways of dealing with problems than using drugs.

We also have this article called They think I have a drugs/alcohol problem which might shed some light on what could be going through your friend's head when people speak to them about drugs, to help prepare you for any response they might have.

I hope this is helpful
    SarahR
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey butterfly, just wondered how things were going?