Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Motivation Struggles- All Welcome :)

apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
Hi :wave:

I've made this thread so we can share methods on how we motivate ourselves.

Also feel free to post your motivation struggles, hopefully we can support each other :heart:

Personally, I've been struggling with motivation a lot recently but I know that I'm not alone.

So how do you motivate yourself?

Comments

• apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    So it's only fair that I answer my own question......

For anyone who doesn't know, I'm currently getting cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT). I have been really struggling with motivation to work on my issues. I feel that my mood has a massive impact on my motivation levels. Thing is, normally once I start a task eg. mindfulness or go for a walk, it improves my mood. It's ironic!

It has been recommended to me that small steps are the best. For example- say you planned to clean a room. If you lacked the motivation to do it, start with one corner.

Personally, I still don't feel this is enough to motivate me (in general). I know everyone's different but I'm interested to see if anyone has any other suggestions!
  • Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    If I have stuff on a 'to do' list, or a note, I find that not only does it remind me that I need to do it, but it feels satisfying when it's done and I can cross it off.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thanks for this thread. Danny makes a good point too. I tend to plan my week ahead if I can. My routine means I'm up sometime between 5 and 6am atm. During time, I will watch some TV, (recorded stuff, because there's nothing else on at that time!) do last night's washing up, etc. I will then do things like shopping, etc.
    Both good ideas!

I'm really trying to plan my week, using my therapy worksheets! But I'm still struggling to do it, and if I do it when not in the best mood, I just write nothing lots. I used to make to dos lists all the time, but my to do list has amounted so high, I'm too scared to write one!
  • PGreenPGreen Posts: 175 Helping Hand
    I love a good list as well, but I have recently started using an app called wonderful day which I am finding really good (it is 79p) where you log your activity and it encourages you to complete it - I think I like the gentle nudges and congratulations when you succeed.
    Sounds cool pippa- I should try it!