Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Distractions

apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I really want to try and brighten my mood, but I struggle a lot with motivation and most of the time I get too deep into thinking it makes me feel worse.

That's why I was wondering if anyone had an suggestions of distractions- I'm open to suggestions. I want something that will keep my mind busy but nothing too stressful (ie. Something that I can do whenever I feel like it).

I just feel I'm such a boring person, have no real hobbies or intrests, plus I really need something to keep me occupied at the moment!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I find that colouring keeps me distracted, I got my self a creative therapy colouring book, it's so helpful!
    I also find that making a scrapbook kept me busy and distracted
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Going for walks or exercising in general can be a good distraction. I find getting outside and engaging with nature really helps me.
  • apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    I actually bought one of those colouring books! It's good when I'm in the mood for it!

I actually discovered that quiet walks near nature is good for me, I like it when no-ones around as it feels like my space. I've found this really helpful in the past, and I'm quite lucky as there's lots of nature walks and a canal in my home town.

My biggest issue I think is probably motivation, it's getting up to do these things. But I really need to try. I need time away from my mind for a while!
    I'd second colouring - yes the motivation is a pain to push through but I always try and remind myself that it's extremely worth it. I find writing in a diary to be a really good help because for me, I don't tend to struggle with motivation when it comes to that - and then the writing just flows and before you know it, at least an hour has flown by. You don't even have to write about things that are stressing you out - it could be that you want to remind yourself of some positives about yourself or maybe there's something positive you did and could talk about what that was and how it made you feel, such as going shopping with a good friend.

It's great to hear you find walking helpful - admiring the nature can be a beautiful thing. It's amazing how something so simple can be so incredible :yes:
    Writing is a good idea! When people say to me writing helps they always mention talking about the negatives. But maybe it would be good to write positively every once in a while.

I just decided to push myself this morning, used my activity planner sheet (from therapy) and I'm keeping myself busy. I just got back from a long walk around the park. I'm so glad I did it, was so relaxing and in enjoyed it. I think I've found my new favourite space in the park too :)
    Do you have an interest in photography? it's just that you mentioned walks and Hiccup mentioned a scrapbook. If so, you could take some photos of where you walk and make them into a scrapbook.
    Sounds like a cool idea melian. I'm not an expert at photography or anything but sounds of interest.