Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Break Entitlement

HannHann Posts: 3,434 Boards Guru
Hey Guys

So today I found out that my shifts next week are Tuesday to Friday doing 8-6 with only a 30 minute break in between. Now I've been told by someone that this is against the law, however I'm not too sure whether this is true or not. I have looked at many different websites online saying that you should get at least a 30 minute break, however on this website http://www.employmentrelations.co.nz/Our+Expertise/Helping+Employers/Human+Resources/Get+the+Basics+right.html it says

"You must pay for rest breaks; meal breaks are unpaid. You must give employees: A 10 minute paid rest break for each 2 to 4 hour work period. A 10 minute paid rest break and a 30 minute unpaid meal break for a 4 to 6 hour work period. Two 10 minute paid rest breaks and a 30 minute unpaid meal break within a 6 to 8 hour work period. For anything over 8 hours, add the extra breaks to the 6 to 8 hour break entitlement. For example, in a 10 hour shift, add the 2 to 4 hour entitlement to the 6 to 8 hour entitlement to get a total break allowance of three 10 minute paid rest breaks and a 30 minute unpaid break."

I don't know what to believe. whether I'm only supposed to have this long or whether I need longer.

(I'm 18, work as a nursery nurse/assistant, I have previously been working 9-6 with an hour break)

If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Hann

Comments

• Options
    *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Hey Hann. :wave:

I don't know too much about the break situation cos at the nursery I am at, people work 8-6 with only 30 minute breaks. I think it may depend on the setting, obv don't quote me on this cos I don't know for sure.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

I think in a ideal world we would be allowed more breaks but I guess it's all about staffing and ratio's as well.

How are you finding nursery life anyway?

Just editing this bit in, I have just had a look at the acas website, and it says a 20 minute rest break if the day is longer than six hours.
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    however on this website http://www.employmentrelations.co.nz/Our+Expertise/Helping+Employers/Human+Resources/Get+the+Basics+right.html it says

"You must pay for rest breaks; meal breaks are unpaid. You must give employees: A 10 minute paid rest break for each 2 to 4 hour work period. A 10 minute paid rest break and a 30 minute unpaid meal break for a 4 to 6 hour work period. Two 10 minute paid rest breaks and a 30 minute unpaid meal break within a 6 to 8 hour work period. For anything over 8 hours, add the extra breaks to the 6 to 8 hour break entitlement. For example, in a 10 hour shift, add the 2 to 4 hour entitlement to the 6 to 8 hour entitlement to get a total break allowance of three 10 minute paid rest breaks and a 30 minute unpaid break."

The website you're looking at is based in New Zealand, they have different rules/regulations over there.

I think you're entitled to 30 minute for every 6 hours that you work, it can be more depending on what your employer decides.
    At my place of work we get 45 minutes for anything between 6-10 hours, anything over 10 hours we get an hour
  • Options
    I think the following website would be of some use to you:
    https://www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work
  • Options
    Nice one Melian - we also have some info here on TheSite: http://www.thesite.org/work-and-stud...eaks-1699.html

It says:
    If you’re aged 18 or over, and your working day is at least six hours, you usually have the right to an uninterrupted rest break of at least 20 minutes.

Hope this helps :)
  • Options
    HannHann Posts: 3,434 Boards Guru
    Hey guys,

Thanks for the help. I have just realised that that link is NZ. Today didn't go so well, had to rush my lunch especially because I was feeling sick and not wanting to eat... Ah well. Not wanting to go in tomorrow though to do this break again.