Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

does exercise help anxiety and depression

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i am wonting to find way to help deal with my anxiety and depression with out meds as i ma on meds right now and seem to reline on them and that is not how i wonted to be i wont to find out if exercise really dose help with anxiety and depression and it may help with why i am so angry all the time if i can find a way to have a outlet may help with the way my head is and help me sort things out in life
if anyone can help i would be very greatful
:)

Comments

• *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Hey Sian

I find exercise really does help my mental health. I find that when I am feeling anxious or upset/low just getting out even on a walk, helps clear my mind. I find running great as well.

I guess it's about finding the things that work for you, cos we are all individual, and what may work for one person may not work for the next, that being said on the whole I have had positive experiences with exercise helping my mental health.

TheSite have a cool article all about exercise and anxiety and depression,

Hope this helps.

Let us know how you get on. :thumb:

" And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey Sian

I find exercise really does help my mental health. I find that when I am feeling anxious or upset/low just getting out even on a walk, helps clear my mind. I find running great as well.

I guess it's about finding the things that work for you, cos we are all individual, and what may work for one person may not work for the next, that being said on the whole I have had positive experiences with exercise helping my mental health.

TheSite have a cool article all about exercise and anxiety and depression,

Hope this helps.

Let us know how you get on. :thumb:

that dose sound gd i may think about going for a run might help with my IPod as i really wont to find a way to cope with it with out meds would like to see my self coming off meds within the next three months
    Wishing you the best of luck with it all :heart:

Do you have support from you GP regarding your medication? If so are they aware of you wanting to come off your meds, it's important to do it with guidance from your GP as coming off them on your own isn't wise, it's important to come of them gradually.

" And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Wishing you the best of luck with it all :heart:

Do you have support from you GP regarding your medication? If so are they aware of you wanting to come off your meds, it's important to do it with guidance from your GP as coming off them on your own isn't wise, it's important to come of them gradually.

thank you :)
    yes i am going to see my gp Monday and talk about my meds i am not coming off them yet no where near ready to come off them yet but i am just seeing if i can find ways to cope with out my meds if i can find better ways to work with myself and cope with it better then that is what i wont don't wont to be on meds for the rest of my life wont to get my head in a better place now
    Good luck with your GP visit on Monday, let us know you get on if you want.

We care about you :heart:

It sounds like you have great awareness of what you want and understanding your not ready to come of your meds yet is a good first step.
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I also find exercise really helps me with anxiety and depression - running seems to boot my breathing pattern back into shape and just calms me down. I know you mentioned feeling angry, so I was wondering whether something like boxercise might help; it's punching kickbags in an aerobic exercise class.

About coming off your meds, I agree with BananaMonkey that you have a lot of insight but I wouldn't necessarily put a time frame on coming off them. Meds can help to lift your mood to place where you feel able to start making positive changes (such as starting to exercise) so that when you do come off them, the positive changes are ingrained. What I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't be too hasty in trying to come off if the time isn't right. Perhaps you could mention to your doctor about therapy or counselling, if you haven't already?
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hey Sian,

Claire and Plugitin have pretty much summed up how exercise can be good and actually rather beneficial when improving mental well-being. - I thought I'd drop in a Video created by MIND, which I absolutely love, 5 ways to becoming more active - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4p6TddpHSg

I found sports in general improved my self confidence as well as my self esteem, I don't love myself, but then I don't go through 20 outfits a day finding the right one, and sometimes I think I look okay! - Without sports, I would be a hermit, pretty much being a typical student living in my room with no reason to come out other than lectures. Exercise also releases endorphin's that make you feel better, therefore wanting to continue doing it.

It can be difficult to motivate yourself to engage in exercise when you've got anxiety holding you back, but I joined clubs, etc. Which really gave me the push I needed, now I aim to go running twice a week, well I try to :P - However, it doesn't even need to be excessive, it's all about little steps, I have a steps calculator on my phone, and I feel a lot better when I've done 10,000 steps in brisk walking, or even 10 minutes of running!! - It doesn't always have to be that hard as insane as it sounds, cleaning is a good one too!! Do let us know how you're getting on though!! :heart:

It's great to see that you're working towards ways you can improve your mental well-being :heart: