Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Summertime sadness...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Which reminds me of this gorgeous song for obvious reasons :p

Hello everyone,

As you know, it's officially the summer holidays which can be a pretty tough time for a lot of people. Not studying for a period of time means being away from your friends which might cause some people to feel down, and of course it can be hard seeing people posting fun photos of the amazing time they seem to be having whilst you might not be feeling happy at all.

I think with summer comes the stigma that it's supposed to be one of the best times of the year but quite honestly, that's bullshit - it can be a really sad and lonely time for very real reasons. I know when I was at sixth form, even knowing summer was coming up really sent me into a panic and I hated summer, but I found it extremely hard to come up with ways to get through it, so I just took it a day at a time really.

Who here has any experience of depression at summertime? It would be great if you felt comfortable sharing said experiences. Do you have specific ways of how you manage to get through it - ways you've found which have helped you cope when summer has left you feeling blue?

I do hope everyone's doing okay, and for those that might not be, here's a massive hug *hug*

Comments

• Options
    apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    Hope you doing okay Butterfly! :heart:

Personally, thats been many summers for me. Particularly when I was younger and had no friends or little friends. Even when I got some really good friends, I missed not seeing them everyday and it was especially hard when they were on holiday abroad. I finished 6th year at school last year - it was very hard adjusting to not seeing my friends (I have no siblings so felt pretty much alone). But now I've come to realise......its shown me who my true friends are!

Sorry for the rant :p

Anyways..... I started volunteering every summer since I was 14 which I felt really helped, as I was interacting with people regularly. Meeting new people was also a massive confidence booster for me.
  • Options
    Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    I think with summer comes the stigma that it's supposed to be one of the best times of the year

I think this bit's really important - there can be a pressure to have a good time and be happy in the summer that isn't there as much when it's cold and rainy. That pressure can be enough to make the same mood feel worse in the summer than the winter.

On a side note - there's some interesting research here that suggest that, in general, weather doesn't have the positive effect on mood that it's often expected to, and that more obvious things such as income, jobs and health have a much greater effect.