Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What is mark forums read?

apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
I know this sounds like a stupid question but what is "mark forums read"

Never really paid much attention to it and I clicked on it and nothing happened (just re-loaded).

Just cause I saw someone mention it but I don't know what it is!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You know the what's new section? Basically if you press "mark forums read", it just means that the threads should disappear because you've pretended you've read them. I think that's what it means anyway :p I've never actually used that function myself.
  • Options
    JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Heya :)

When you're logged into the boards, your account keeps track of what you've read and what you haven't.

For example, when you're looking at the list of threads, you'll notice that threads you've read have a grey icon and threads you haven't read yet have a blue one:

602T5Vym.jpg

This helps everyone keep track of what's going on and means we don't have to open a thread to check if anyone's replied. If someone replies to a thread we've already read, that thread will become blue because there's a new post we haven't seen.

The same applies when we look at the forum list. If we've read everything in a forum (e.g. Start Here), it will have a grey icon. If there are posts or threads that we haven't read in that forum, it will have a blue icon:

MOR3ExPt.jpg

The 'Mark Forums Read' button will turn everything in the forum(s) you're currently looking at grey - as if you've read everything.
    People find this helpful because if everything is marked as read, anything that's posted now will have a blue icon. This makes it easier to see what's happening where :)

Does that answer your question?
  • Options
    Hey :)

Yes that makes perfect sense..... Ironically I've been thinking about why some icons are blue and other white,but I thought that would be a stupid question to ask lol :P

But, one last question...... My icons have been changing colour and I haven't pressed the "mark forums read" , why is that?
  • Options
    Sorry I'm being a pain lol :P
  • Options
    JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    No worries :)

Whenever you read a thread, it is automatically marked as read (which makes sense). - so threads you've opened will have grey icons.
    If you haven't read a thread, or when something new is posted in a thread you have read, you'll see a blue icon.

The colour of the icon is designed to let you know what's new, so will keep changing as long as things keep happening :)
  • Options
    Okay that makes sense :) thanks for explaining!