Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What to do

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm not really sure, I think I have depression but I'm too nervous to go to the doctor and get diagnosed in case they say I don't have it or try to give me anti-depressants, and I am living with my mum at the moment and don't want her to know as she has it too and will feel like it is her fault. My boyfriend keeps being annoyed at me for being stressed and irritable, I keep going to say that I think I have it but I'm scared of his response as when I have mentioned it off-handedly before he has said "oh you don't have depression stop being silly". I know he loves and cares about me a lot but I don't think he understands this sort of thing and I'm scared he will brush me off if I try to explain, my old housemate had diagnosed depression and when I spoke to him about it (sort of as a test to see what his thoughts were) he said it didn't sound like there was anything wrong with her. I'm worried about what he would say if I told him about myself and also worried about whether it is all just in my head and there's not anything wrong with me, I am quite lonely at the moment so I'm concerned that it is just normal genuine sadness, although it doesn't feel like it.

Comments

• Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hello K L M,

Warm welcomes to TheSite.org message boards :wave: - How did you find us?! - It sounds as though you have a lot going on at the moment, and I really do understand the feeling of worrying that people might contradict you. It's good to see you are aware that something is the matter, and you've been able to notice it, and it's also a good thing to see you considering options of support.

You're GP is able to offer you free confidential support and advice, and offer a non judgmental service. - Can I just ask how old you are? It's very unlikely for a GP to consider anti-depressants if you are under 18 Years of age, and often consider options like therapy, and so forth. Being in a relationship often means having the ability to be open and honest with one and another. Do you love him? Does he love you? - If he does, he will try to understand. However, any mental illness is difficult to understand and sometimes can take a bit of time to adjust and allow themselves to get their head around it. As they may or may not have encountered closely with others who have mental health issue.

Is there another friend you could talk to about the way you're feeling and get a bit of there perspective on things, how about your old housemate? Often a feeling of loneliness when we are not alone can be related to symptoms of depression, saying this though it doesn't mean you have it, but then again, it doesn't mean you don't have it.

I recommend talking to your GP about the way you're feeling, allow yourself to bring up any concerns you have, etc. You can say no to medication, and the conversation can remain confidential. But GP's won't be able to give you a proper psychiatric diagnosis - However, can pin point you to other services available in your area.

Do keep us updated on how things are getting on for you *hug*

Best wishes,
    WhispersOfTheHeart
  • Options
    Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    I just wanted to say that relationship-wise, it sounds a little bit worrying that when you've brought it up your boyfriend brushed it off. However, you do say you brought it up off-handedly, so maybe he didn't realise how serious what you're feeling is right now? Depression is hard to understand if you've not experienced it, so you might need to do a bit of explaining. But it seems important to be with someone who can take your feelings seriously, and at least try to understand.

From what you wrote, I got the feeling that you're worried that what you're feeling might not be depression, even though that's how it feels to you. I wondered what your concerns are? What would feel worse about it being normal genuine sadness, rather than depression?