Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Pain is too much

ShatteredSecretsShatteredSecrets Posts: 186 Helping Hand
Hi guys,

Some of you may have seen me talking about this in SC lately but I now feel like it's becomimg unbearable.

Basically long story short I have been on a hospital waiting list for an cholecystectomy for a long while now, and have had to deal with daily pain. However, in the past 4-6 weeks the pain is becoming unbearable. I'm writhing on the ground, crying, vomiting, and sweating from these attacks of pain.

I have recently found out that others in this pain are prescribed painkillers to help them. However, when I discussed this with my GP AND consultant they both told me they won't do it bc it's "not necessary".

I have also found out today that I have been pushed further down their lists due to staff incompetency. I keep calling and they just tell me there is nothing more they can do for me. I guess what I'm trying to say guys, is that I am totally done. I don't know how to cope with this pain anymore. It's honestly causing suicidal thoughts and It's scaring me. It just feels like that's the only way to stop the pain. I just don't know what to do.

I'm sorry guys, just needed to vent bc there's nobody I could tell this to. Thanks for listening.

- ShatteredSecrets

I am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oh bless you ShatteredSecrets, that sounds absolutely awful :( I'm sorry you're finding that suicide might be the only way to cope with this. I really don't have any advice which I apologise for, but I did want to drop in and offer some hugs *hug* *hug*

Have you only spoken to one GP about the possibility of painkillers? If so, it might be worth making an appointment with a different doctor and telling them what you've told us - I'd also mention that you're feeling suicidal because of what you're going through, because if you haven't mentioned that already then it might just scream to them that they really need to do more as you need and deserve that.

If you could be on painkillers for this then they should be prescribing them. Based on what you've told us here, I think it's extremely clear that painkillers would in fact be necessary.

Please do keep talking to us about this. You honestly don't ever need to apologise - we care and we're happy to listen. Be gentle with yourself.
  • Options
    Hi ShatteredSecrets,
    in the past 4-6 weeks the pain is becoming unbearable. I'm writhing on the ground, crying, vomiting, and sweating from these attacks of pain.

The symptoms you describe suggest that you could also take yourself to A & E if it's getting really unbearable and you don't feel your GPs are listening. Do you have a friend or family member that you can talk to or that could help to get you there?

I wonder if you have also tried calling 111? They will ask you a series of questions to assess your symptoms and then advise you on what you should do. It could also provide you with something to back up to the GP what you're asking for. You deserve to be listened to and as butterfly says, if your current GP isn't listening then it's absolutely your right to ask to make an emergency appointment with a different GP. If you're starting to feel suicidal then they really need to know.

I would also suggest sharing your story on the patient opinion website too if you feel up to it, this is an important tool for feeding back on health services: https://www.patientopinion.org.uk/youropinion

It must be incredibly frustrating and tiring for you to be waiting for this operation - sending a big hug and do let us know how you're doing. we're always here to listen when you need to vent *hug*
  • Options
    Hi guys... Thanks so much for reading and replying..

I have actually been to A&E with these symptoms but they said it wasn't classed as an "emergency" so they can't do anything about it. However if the organ which is causing the pain ruptures or explodes then they will then take action... I have called 111 but they direct me to A&E, so it's kind of a relentless cycle.

I mean I'm not actively suicidal all the time. It's just when the pain comes I honestly feel like I would be better off dead then have to deal with this pain. But then the pain eventually subsides and I feel semi-ok again. However, I heard that tomorrow they will have more dates so I'm going to call them and hope and pray they give me a date!

I will let you all know. Thank you! *hug*:thumb:

- ShatteredSecrets

• Options
    Hi guys..

Just thought I would update you all on the situation.

There is good and bad news: -

The bad news is that the pain is getting worse and worse on a daily basis with food completely out of the question.

The good news is that on Friday I rang the hospital and they gave me an operation date.

I'm struggling to make it to the date though. It feels so far away. :(

- ShatteredSecrets

• Options
    Great to hear that you've got a date for the operation - when is it if you don't mind me asking?

Little steps, take it one day at a time. Since you originally posted this thread, you've made it this far and you can carry on doing as well as you have been doing :yes:

I can understand that it must be hard - the pain you describe sounds absolutely horrific. You can do this though. You've carried on for so long and you finally have a date! That's amazing news. Carrying on will be worth it and in the future, when you look back at this time of your life, you'll be so proud of yourself.

Take care and please keep posting *hug*
  • Options
    The operation is set for July 31st. I have to go in for yet another blood test a few days before :nervous::nervous::nervous: Definitely not my favourite things! Then the day after they're going to call me with eating and drinking instructions leading up to the operation. I expect I shall be nil by mouth which isn't a problem at all.

But thanks guys. I just honestly can't wait to be pain free (hopefully) and be able to live as normally as I can again. I have recently found a gym which (with student discount) will be about £10 - £11 a month and I'm really excited to start going again! However, I've read that recovery could well take the entire month of August :(

Thanks lovelyyyy *hug*

- ShatteredSecrets

• Options
    Very sorry to hear this.

Regarding the op date - can you ask that if there's a cancellation, they let you have that slot? Not too sure whether you can really do that with operations though.

As butterfly says, you should get a second opinion and it does sound like you really do need some sort of painkiller.