Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

PCOS and phantom pregnancies?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have been having fluttering feelings and then cramps on and off for 3 weeks now, I've also put on weight over the past month or more, tenderness etc etc but I have had negative pregnancy tests. I also have polycystic ovaries and have and IUD fitted and I've read that it could be PCOS related? A friend suggested it was a phantom pregnancy as I have three friends who are fairly heavily pregnant - is this a real thing? I know dogs and cats have them but do humans? My other worry is that it's something like IBS which I've had treated on and off since I was 6 weeks old, but this doesn't feel the same. I'm trying to get a GP appointment but it's seeming impossible right now and I kind of want it sorted before I go on holiday to a remote island!

Comments

• Options
    Hi Miss Riot,

I put this in to Google as in all honesty I don't know the answer to your question! As you know, we aren't medical experts here and can't diagnose so I'd keep pushing for that GP appointment before you go away if you can.

It does appear to be a 'thing'. As you say, more common in animals but can occur in humans too. Here is the article I found about it: http://www.webmd.boots.com/pregnancy/guide/false-pregnancy-pseudocyesis

Could you call 111 in the meantime for advice?

P.s Remote island sounds exciting! ;)
  • Options
    I was more wondering if anyone else had had anything similar rather than looking for an actual diagnosis - I've been feeling like I'm being a total hypochondriac and that I should just get on with it.

I might call 111, I just don't have a great faith in them being anything other than a sign posting service to keep people out of GP surgeries and A&E.

Orkney - could be great, could be wet wild and cold, but got friends up there who I haven't seen for years.
  • Options
    Saw the GP and he's sent me fore an ultrasound and gave me codeine which I've had to take a lot of over the weekend and spent most of it on the sofa. I'm going to call the GP again in the morning because its getting worse and worse and I'm in constant pain now and feeling really uncomfortable. GPs seem to be useless with gyny issues!
  • Options
    Still hurting, only just been sent a referral letter, getting worse by the day. Been asked to see the out of hours GP but I can't get there so I'm waiting for a call back but I think I'll end up going to A&E tomorrow.
  • Options
    SarahRSarahR Posts: 213 Trailblazer
    Hi Miss_Riot

It sounds really frustrating that you still don't know exactly what the problem is and in the meantime you're still in a lot of pain. The stress that mysterious symptoms cause can often exacerbate things leading to further discomfort. Did you receive the callback in the end? Let us know how things go.

Sarah
  • Options
    Been admitted into hospital, on morphine, waiting for an ultrasound tomorrow and probably a laproscopy in the week. So I'm going to miss the gig on Tuesday and possibly next weekend too. :(
  • Options
    bloods and ultrasound was fine asides my one ovary which is very polycystic which has been there for a while. I was discharged yesterday with a referral to see a consultant and hopefully have a laperoscopy - the current thinking of possibly endometriosis. I'm going to miss the gig, and I'm laid up in bed, still doped up to my eyeballs and annoyed it couldn't have been done on the weekend or this week. So I just have to wait for my letter now. :(
  • Options
    Sending a big hug Miss Riot *hug* I hope you're being well looked after - keep us posted on how things are going.