Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Being friends with an ex

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey well am leaving college in 4 weeks and my ex broke up with me last year he was my first bf we were going out for 8 months I took it bad when he broke up with me it was a really hard time for me ever since we broke up we haven't talked or nothing we did start talking again at Christmas time and we meet up but never went well I realised I still loved him and just wanted him back but he didn't want to so we just stop speaking but now I leave college in 4 weeks and I won't see him again I can't imagine my life without him I know if I be friends with him that way I can still see him but I don't know if it will be too painful I know am not over him yet but maybe this time I might be able to be friends I need some help to figure out what to do x

Comments

• Options
    No, you won't be able to be friends. What you want is being close to him again so you can get back together. It's not gonna happen, he told you as much. You need to stop thinking about him. Be busy like a bee. There should be minimal time where your mind is unoccupied and can wander to past happy memories with him. There is no option than to get over him. What often helps is going out with other men, not necessarily looking for a new bf, but you know, have butterflies in your stomach, thinking a bit about somebody else. Nothing distracts quite like a new, exciting person in your life.
  • Options
    I know what you meaning maybe I do only want to be friends with him to be close to him I guess I just going to really miss him when I leave dunno how am going to cope and I never had any butterflies for anyone els since we broke up like there no one els I like expted from him I want to at lest try and be friends with him see how it goes but I will try and be busy just hard as I don't have many friends and trying to find new clubs to join but I can't cause mose of the clubs are under 18 and am 19 and the adults clubs are people who are 40 and 30 and stuff so I dunno where to go :(
  • Options
    Maybe you should seek out a therapist and have him give you the tools you need to process things that are rather normal and low-effort for most people: Getting over exes, making friends, finding stuff to do in their free time etc.
  • Options
    Okay I'll try that thank you
  • Options
    Hi Louise95,

Sorry to hear things have been so hard since the break up. Have you seen him at all since december? It's not easy to still have feeling for someone, but try to not be too hard on yourself, these things take time.

You say you're leaving in 4 weeks and might not see him again - are you moving city? Time far from him could actually help, but its normal to feel sad and worried about it.
    If you feel like seeing him one more time for a coffee to get closure than maybe you should. It might go better than it did in December as it was a while ago... But if you feel that it will only give you hope to get back together than it might be too hard. At the end of the day, only you know what feels right - follow your gut on this one so you feel no regrets *hug*

Also have a look at our article on break ups when you can.

Do let us know how you get on :yes:
  • Options
    Hey and yeah I see him everyday he's at my college doing the same course am doing so I never really get time when I don't see him I think that what making it hard to move on I haven't spoken to him yet about maybe being friends am not sure if am ready to I know my slef I haven't moved on from him and am leaving college in 3 weeks that will be my 3 years over I so when I leave I won't see him again I will miss him but I don't know if it will be better just to forget him and move on or still have him in my life even as a friend
  • Options
    Cat88Cat88 Posts: 377 Listening Ear
    Hey Louise,

Christele has give some great advice, and I have to agree with it all. If you still have feelings for someone who doesn't have them back, staying friends could just prolong your hurt rather than helping. Space and this new stage of your life will hopefully be the fresh start you need.

However, if you think just meeting for a chat might give you some closure then go for it - be honest with him and just say you want to leave college on good terms or something like that.

It's cheesy, but time is a healer. I promise the hurt will pass and you will move on.
  • Options
    Hi Louise95, this must be a scary time in your life right now about to go in the big wide world, being all grown up and ready to make your own decisions. That's got to be so scary just thinking about it.

First of all, we can only sympathise with you as leaving school, college or university is a scary place to be when you dont know where to turn or who to turn to.

I know you might find that your brain is all in over gear right now but its not as bad as what you think. I'm sure now you have been at college for so long that you may have some sort of an idea on what you want to do next.

I think it's really important that you focus your mind on one problem at time. Therefore, I would say at the top of the list is making sure you know what you want to do in your life right now ie Career.

You know better then anyone else what you want to do because only you know yourself best only if you don't know what you want to do then there are a lot of people out there who can help.

Once you have your career heading in the right direction then you will be able to tackle your second problem which is your ex.

You and your ex was once together 8 months ago and then only recently you and him broke up for whatever reason. That being said, there is one a problem and that problem is not getting over him which now is taking over everything you once wanted planed.

Therefore your gonna answer yourself questions and answer those questions to think is the right ones but it's not as simple as what you might think.

However that's where we come in so you may still be unsure on who, where, what and how to turn to although you will hear different opinions as to what to do and as you know there maybe not a right answer.

Therefore as I said before go away and solve one problem at a time by writing a list on the first common problem what's in your head and think of a realistic way of tackling it, then once you have done that take the first step by ie seeing who, going to where, doing what and thinking about how to do that then after that hopefully your first problem is solved. Then think about the second problem and do it the same way as the first problem so on and so on.

You might find that finding the right answer can only come from you but having a second opinion can count of two. There's alot you need to figure out so it's best to go way and think about it.

However there maybe some websites and helpines to help you.

The National Careers Service - Can be found online or by going into your local drop in centre

Connexions Direct - Can be found through there website or by going into your local connexions direct centre

National Apprenticeships - Can be found online and either by email

Direct Gov - Can be found online and by phone

Get Connected - Can be found online, phone or web chat

The Samaritans - Can be found online, phone or by your local branch

Mind - Can be found online and phone

Brook - Can be found on there website www.Brook.org.uk and there's advice on relationships and speaking to someone online

The Surgery - Can be found on the website bbc.co.uk/thesurgery and there's advice a range of topics and help

These are only a guide so it may or may not be any use to you but it's there if you need them.

I hope that helps x
  • Options
    Thank you for replying and your right it would only hurt me more if I be friends with my ex maybe it came at a good time that am leaving college time to start fresh and try to move on from him think it will help because once I leave I won't see him so that way I won't think about him so much I probably will just have a chat with him before I leave college so there is no hate between us and thank you this has helped me to figure out if I want to be friends with him or not and now I know that best thing to do it not be friends with him as I would only get hurt more
  • Options
    Thank you Christele for replying and your right it would only hurt me more if I be friends with my ex maybe it came at a good time that am leaving college time to start fresh and try to move on from him think it will help because once I leave I won't see him so that way I won't think about him so much I probably will just have a chat with him before I leave college so there is no hate between us and thank you this has helped me to figure out if I want to be friends with him or not and now I know that best thing to do it not be friends with him as I would only get hurt more .crazyCat I know where you are coming from this has helped out as well you right it is scary to leave and be in the big wide world but your right time to think of what career I want to be am going to write down a list of what I enjoy and think about the career I want is to do child care I will start solving one problem at a time hopefully this will help me out by doing this and thank you for the website and helplines I will have a link at then see if they will help me and I will also think about what you have said :) x
  • Options
    I'm glad that has helped. You got to put yourself first and you leaving college starting a fresh as you said will get you to think about your career first which is more important then anything else right now. I'm not sure what you said you was gonna do?

That's why there are always people to help from the National Careers Service who can help you find a job, look into education again or do voluntary work etc. They can you to do that or Connexions are similar two.

I think about your career before you think about anything else right now. You need to put yourself first as that's really important remember. Knowing what you want to do then doing it will come in place so you have something to focus on.

You could send a text and say to that guy about meeting up as you said one time and leave it as that and if he replys then that's good but if he doesn't then you know your answer by your only suggesting about meeting up now you both finished college.

I hope that helps x
  • Options
    Thank you crazycat this has help me to think and your right am going to put my self first and start a fresh and not let anyone hurt me