Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

an amazing statistic

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I flinch slightly at putting this on, and i know this has been discussed umpteen times before, but let's face it - we all repeat ourselves anyway, and this is an important issue, and this fact seems so remarkable to me that I'd be interested ni people's reactions to it. I heard it on television last night.
It is: if you take eight or nine developed world countries that have strict gun control laws (I can't remember all of them, but UK, Switzerland, AUstralia, Germany, etc.), you get a population of roughly equivalent size to the united states. Last year they had a combined total of 112 firearms related deaths: the USA had 32 000.
31 888 more deaths in a year. That's a pretty sobering statistic. Either one has to believe Americans are more naturally inclined to violence, which I don't, or that it's got something to do with the laws. Ultimately it seems to me we can argue about the theory and philosophy behind it until the proverbial cows come home, but there's very little one can say as a counter-argument to that.

Comments

• Options
    Oh christ no....
  • Options
    Yeah I saw West Wing last night too ;)

The stat makes no difference to me of course, my position is clear, just as it will make no difference to any of the pro-gun lobby for the same reason.

When you are arguing against blind faith in a specific interpretation of the US constitution statistics will make no difference. It's not just that the pro-gun lobby just believe that they are safer, they also see gun ownership as a right.

Try arguing against any other human rights...
  • Options
    On my recent holiday to the US I was invited to go target shooting by one of my friends there. He brought with him a 40, a 45 and a semi-automatic M-16 assault rifle- he apologised for not bringing the 2WW Mauser he owns as well. I had great fun shooting cardboard targets in several forms and shapes, and I can see why people enjoy target shooting (especially with assault rifles- awesome). But wouldn't it be preferable if gun clubs kept the guns locked at night rather than having their owners taking them home? My friend doesn't have a concealed weapon permit and he plays by the rules. He carries all guns in a case, not fully assembled and with locks fitted on the triggers. Plus he's a sound bloke and he wouldn't shoot someone in anger. But when you have millions of people owning a gun, invariably many of them are going to use it if they get involved in an argument.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog
    Oh christ no....

Agreed....Prufrock, please DON'T.
  • Options
    lol ;)
  • Options
    I know... sort of regretted posting it immediately afterewards. But too late now. SOrry. Anyway, I think it's pretty remarkable.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    But when you have millions of people owning a gun, invariably many of them are going to use it if they get involved in an argument.

Or, as I like to put it: Carrying a gun may vastly increase a person's lethality, but does nothing whatsoever to increase his/her maturity (and sometimes decreases it).

(For reference, I have taught basic firearms safety. I don't speak from ignorance here. :) )
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Yeah I saw West Wing last night too ;)

If you are quoting from West Wing, well... the show caters to the emotionally and reality challenged in the first place... :rolleyes:

HOWEVER...

Let us each observe that I am displaying "fire control discipline", and NOT "engaging the target".

This REALLY isn't what you want to occupy the forum with, is it? ;)