Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Catholic/Protestant Rivalry

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm not too sure whether this discussion has been brought up before, but I'm bringing it up now. Does anyone agree that the rivalry between catholic and protestant (especially in Glasgow) has gone way too far now? i just don't understand it!

I am Catholic myself and have been for 16 years but I have never had anything against a Protestant or a person of any other religion. My dad is Protestant, it wouldn't make any difference if he was Muslim, Hindu, Jewish, whatever, he's still my dad.

My mum is half Scottish and her dad was Scottish. At first he followed the rivalry when he was young and living in Glasgow when he was a Celtic fan. However, when he came to England, he realised how stupid it was and how a stop should be put to it. All this is happening just because of a game of football.

I remember not so long ago I was looking in the Mail on Sunday and there was a discussion similar to the one that I am making now. It showed a photograph of a boy anout 12-13 years old with a scarf that had stitched into it something like "Edward, 1752". I then found out this was when some lord named Edward of the Protestant side of Glasgow had killed a lord of the Catholic side of Glasgow. I was appauled when I read this article as I found out how long this rivalry had been going.

Does anyone else agree that a stop should be put to it?

Comments

• Options
    Re: Catholic/Protestant Rivalry
    Originally posted by Garfunkel

Does anyone else agree that a stop should be put to it?

Yup, along with organised religion in general.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Catholic/Protestant Rivalry
    Originally posted by Vox populi, vox Dei

Yup, along with organised religion in general.

Stop making me agree with you.:p
  • Options
    hmm...a touchy subject.
    i dont know exactly how bad the situation is in Glasgow, in fact, call me dumb but i didnt realise there was any Catholic/Protestant rivalry anywhere else but in Northern Ireland.

i though that across the water people didnt care, i thought it was just something to do with the north and south of ireland. however i am very uneducated on the subject because i lived in england from when i was 5 til i was 11 and when i moved back to northern ireland i kinda had to find out for myself what the political/religious situation was. my parents didnt tell me cos they didnt think i would understand.

when i started secondary school i was a sheep and just agreed with everyone else's biased opinions of catholics. when i got to about 14 i realised that i shouldnt even call myself a protestant because i dont go to church and dont practice religion.
    after my GCSE's i went to a Catholic grammer school to do my Alevels and now most of my friends are Catholics. i have nothing against them at all. my parents dont go to church, and i can safely say that in the past 2 years i have been to mass more times than i have been to church in the past 7.

i was having a religious discussion the other day with a girl at work who is a christian. another girl chimed in "but are you a Catholic or a Protestant?"
    and the first girl said "what does that matter? im a christian!"

unfortunetly (sp) though, to most people it does matter, in Northern Ireland you are either one or the other.
    i do agree with you that there should be a stop put to it , but how?
    the whole Rangers/Celtic thing is stupid i think, instead of supporting football the fans are supporting their political opinions. and thats what it is, its not about religion, its about politics.
    my dad is a protestant and prefers Celtic to Rangers!
    i dont really know what else to say on the matter, i just thought i would give you my thoughts
  • Options
    Re: Catholic/Protestant Rivalry
    Originally posted by Garfunkel
    Does anyone agree that the rivalry between catholic and protestant (especially in Glasgow) has gone way too far now? i just don't understand it!

Too far now? It's calmed down compared to years ago. The police in Glasgow beat up people, just because they were Catholics. Catholics were refused jobs for that reason alone etc.

Anyway there can't be a stop to it until peoples attitudes change, which, sadly, you can't do. Sectarianism is passed down through families, friends etc.

Anyway, banning the Orange Walk would be a helpful start :rolleyes:
  • Options
    *cough* Politics *cough*

Religion = Shit (c. Balddog)
  • Options
    theres a story that my dad used to tell me when i was young to explain the catholic/ protestant thing (he comes from Northern Ireland).

my uncle Dougie was walking though a dodgy part of Belfast in his younger days and came across a group of scary looking guys. one of them asked him if he was catholic or protestant and as my uncle couldnt tell which they were he played it safe and said he was a jew. he was about to walk away when one of the blokes said 'yes but are you a catholic jew or a protestant jew'.

obviously religious prejudice and sectarianism is never good whether it is catholics and protestants or hindus and muslims.