Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Let's call the lawyers...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:mad: Grrrr

Another frivilous lawsuit Details ...

This is one of the few operations which is carried out at the express request of the patient and is not the result of a medical condition. When will people ever take responsibilty for their own actions?

Comments

• Options
    :mad:

Of course, if noone had ever told me, I'd assume an abortion to not involve any stress at all... :rolleyes:

What did she expect?
  • Options
    hmmmm interesting...
    The question of psychological fall-out from abortion is very controversial. Pro-abortion groups deny it is a problem at all while pro-life groups claims that it is widespread but under-reported.
    She said: "Women are deliberately not being told the whole truth. They are not given the chance to make informed decisions. They have a right to know."

If someone goes to an abortion clinic, isn't the whole point of the staff et al there to 'sell' the abortion to someone since after all, they have to make a living? So of course she would have been told
    Very few women experience feelings of extreme guilt or depression after abortion. Initially, most of our clients report feelings of relief, but it is not uncommon to feel a bit "low" for a few days.
    just like this Marie Stopes website says.

I wouldn't trust either pro-choice or pro-life groups to educate myself on the issue. I did once have a pregnancy scare, and when I was playing devils advocate, I had a look at some websites. I read womens own experiences of abortion, I think thats always the best way to learn off someone.
  • Options
    I agree of course that people need to take responsibility for their own actions, but at the same time I do think it's shocking for an abortion clinic not to provide psychological guidance before the operation. It's a pretty momentous decision, and not one to be taken lightly: if they didn't make her adequately aware of how she might feel afterwards - and the effects can't necessarily be known by the peson who's going to experience them - something's seriously wrong.
    better frivolous lawsuits than negligent health institutions.
  • Options
    [QUOTEShe said: "I just want to make the NHS aware of the approach they have on the wards, just to let them know what women are going through, how serious it is and I think they need to do something about it." [/QUOTE]

But of course, the money has nothing to do with it.
  • Options
    but someone's motives for bringing a lawsuit shouldn't have any influence on whether we think the lawsuit is justified or not... the thing that should be in question here is the behaviour of the clinic.
  • Options
    But it is blatantly obvious that an abortion is liable to cause some kind of mental distress. If the decision is that big then surely she would have thought about that beforehand.

I'm sure that if she didn't want the baby that much then no amount of warning on psychological effects would have stopped her.
    The woman says that at the time of the abortion she thought she was doing something wrong

Hmmm, if she didn't want to have the abortion then why did she? It seems like she's blaming this all on the NHS to take some of her guilt and responsibility for the choice she made away but instead she has disguised it as if she has not been well informed. (Just thought I'd throw all that in there).

Clinics probably should provide more information on the the mental health side-effects but just because they don't doesn't mean she should sue. They warn people of physical effects because most people do not know what an abortion will do to their bodies but it does seem fairly obvious that an abortion will cause distress. Every girl I know has said that they would hate to be in that situation because of the guilt they would feel if they got rid of their child.

I think her motives are as relevant as the clinics behaviour. Just because clinics do not provide information on mental effects does not mean that this particular woman should benefit from that by receiving a load of cash.

(Please don't get scary with me if I've misinterpreted something. This is the only time I've actually been brave enough to post anything in here.)
  • Options
    I kind of agree... I mean, I think it sucks that she sued, but I don't think that necessarily means there isn't a case to answer. Some people are genuinely really ignorant of their own emotional states and they need to be considered.
    I don't think her getting loads of cash is the point... if it stops a similar scenario arising in the future, that'd surely be a good thing.

Then again, if she got a wodge of cash it could clearly be better spent elsewhere- like, for instance, training the doctors there better in looking after the patients emotionally...
    i don't know. hate seing both sides of things!

(also, and this isn't aimed at anyone in particular, we don't really know anything about this case, so it's pretty hard to judge fairly)
  • Options
    The words "dumbass bitch" spring to mind.
    I hate people who claim compensation and blame everyone apart from themselves.
    Them, and the lawyers, and the judges who award the money should all be shot.
  • Options
    What a fool :mad: She thought everything would be hunky dory after an abortion? Just stroll in and stroll out as if she was going to the dentist? NO, its not like that and she has to face the consequences to her actions.

She should spend more time with the child she has now, and give them all the care and attention she wasn't ready for the first time around. I just hope this doesn't spark a torrent of similar cases crawling out from the woodwork although it wouldn't really surprise me :rolleyes:
  • Options
    What utter fucking crap. This country gets more like fucking America every bastard day. What dumb wit bitch. It's "sue the arse off someone" nearly every day. There was a case not long ago in Worcester. Some woman was promoted and couldn't cope because she wasn't qualified/trained enough so sued for a six figure sum, and got it. Did she tell anyone she couldn't do the job, or ask for training. NO! When is the fucking judicial system in this country gonna fucking WAKE UP!!!!!!!:o :o:o
  • Options
    Probably never. If things keep going this way you're right Rubberskin, we'll end up being known as 'New America' or something :rolleyes: :mad:
  • Options
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. But the way Blair's going as Bush's little puppet you never now. Anyone watch 2DTV? Maybe we should get Professor Liebstrom to talk to Tony:D
  • Options
    She can sue all she wants, surely the real test for the state of this country is whether she is successful or nor, I assume she won't be so its OK.....:)
  • Options
    surely people are missing the point. I don't like the sound of this woman any more than you do. BUT if the clinic is being negligent - and I don't think any of us can know that - then regardless of the characteristics or motives of the suer they should be held accountable.
  • Options
    anybody with any sort of common sense and intelligence would already know.
    and it's scary that it took 3 years for her to finally realise. I've said it before, people who claim compensation for their own stupidity should be shot.
  • Options
    But in what way can they possibly be negligent? She is complaining because she felt guilty for killing the foetus, she deliberately chose to do that and if she can't deal with the consequences then it is no-ones fault but hers......