Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Swallow Anxiety? (And anxiety in general)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey everyone so ever since I had this cold from last week I've been really concious of my swallowing and I find it really hard to swallow anything because I'm scared I'm going to choke. Like something would go down and I'd panic and try to swallow and it's just really uncomfortable. My nose is also kinda still blocked and it makes this weird popping sound inside like it's still full and the top of my mouth moves uncontrollably.

But yeah I've just been having trouble eating and it's exam season I'm not sure what's going on exactly, I really feel like any time I have food in my mouth I'm just going to choke. Like I'll only eat things that I can chew for so long that they basically turn into a liquid and swallow with water or something. It's causing a lot of problems.

Does anyone have an techniques I can use to help combat the fear or to just forget about it?

Edit:

So I'm eating yoghurt and that seems to be going down easily, worried about not getting enough calories now.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Anyone?
    Go see your doctor to make sure it's nothing serious. My auntie had this for a few months and it turned out to be cancer - not to scare you or anything. Just to be sure what it is.

Do you have a steamer? If you do, put some vapor rub into the water and breathe it a few times a day for 10 or so minutes and see if the pressure and feeling is relieved.
    I sent you a message on here lolmuffins.

I don't know where it's gone but all I said was the same as JavaKrypt said which was it would be a good idea if you spoke to your doctor about how your feeling so they can advice on what to do. I don't think its anything serious either but you should get checked out.

Your doing your best I'm sure to stay postive and not letting this cold effect you. Only if you said you been feeling like that over a week now then you need to see your doctor but I would try and get an out of hours appointment.

What do you think?

I hope you feel better soon x
    Cancer? Oh no please no!

I really think it's just anxiety but I guess I'll make an appointment...

I have unprotected oral sex but I know for a fact my partner was clean so... I'm freaking now!