Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Social media IS good for your relationship!

Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
This short article called "Seven Myths about Social Media and Relationships" argues that a lot of fears about social media damaging relationships are more about people fearing new technologies, and assuming that old ways are better than new ways (nostalgia). Instead, the author argues that social media has lots of benefits - humans are social animals, and technology increases our options.

We hear a lot about the damage social media can cause, and a lot of us like to complain about it. But we still seem to spend a lot of time online!

So, I thought it would be interesting to ask - "how have the internet and social media been good in your relationships?". It doesn't have to be big - any example would be interesting.
156735564.jpg

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This is an interesting article to discuss however it doesn't make life easier to know that peoples lives are involved around social media because we get enough social media as it is.

I know this is one of those topics when even talking about it in our daily lives or seeing it over the news or in the papers can get us all worked up and that's where there's a lot of controversy over the fact that everyone's experience has been totally different to others and those have to agree and disagree.

I do think my experience with my past relationships on social media has been daunting when before in my relationship its never been as bad as social media makes out. My past relationships have never really worked on social media knowing that a lot of things on there can be said the wrong way, even just having a falling out can make the whole social network on your case and also its caused some cyber bullying in the past but just hurtful comments.

Im not saying social media is bad just because I have had bad experiences with in the past when it comes to my relationships etc but I do believe that from what you said about fears and damage when it comes to relationships is very true when it comes to being on there so that's why I don't put my life story on there as some people do.

That's my opinion on the social media thing.
    Without social media, I'd have struggled much more with my last relationship. It really helped minimise the problems long distance created. With things like Skype, Whatsapp, even Facebook (to a degree), we managed to keep up a lot of contact and makeup for some of the downtime. Skype especially. :yes:
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    CrazyCat wrote: »

That's my opinion on the social media thing.

Hey CrazyCat, I wonder if you have anything to say that specifically answers Danny's question:

how have the internet and social media been good in your relationships?

Would be great to get your take on that...
    Petrichor wrote: »
    Without social media, I'd have struggled much more with my last relationship. It really helped minimise the problems long distance created. With things like Skype, Whatsapp, even Facebook (to a degree), we managed to keep up a lot of contact and makeup for some of the downtime. Skype especially. :yes:

Agree with this. Looking at relationships in terms of friends, lots of my friends live in other parts of the country and without Skype, whatsapp etc it would be next to impossible to have the communication that I have with them. Equally, I have friends who live aboard and email is a wonderful thing.

Of course there will be negatives, but when it comes down to convenience social media is great. I'm all for sending someone a card or writing a letter but if I need to speak to someone urgently or just want a chat, snail mail doesn't cut it.
    If it wasn't for social media, I wouldmt have met the relatives I did recently.

I have family in other countries and picking up the phone isn't always an option.
    @Helen I do think as what Danny said before about social media having its down sides to it can only be
    fair for me to agree because most of my past experiences have been bad because of social media being involved. I'm not saying I don't like it, I use it all the time. Only I think when people mention about social media wether you hear it from the news or in the papers that it sounds pretty but again peoples experiences are all different. I would say it may just be getting back in touch with old friends and family is the only good thing about it.
    You won't hear good things about social media in the paper though. Things like that won't sell.

I think some people have publicly used to track down family. (ie, those who were adopted and want to find their birth parents)
    @Melian I don't think its anything about wether this will sell or not but I do think they got to keep the media interesting and persuasive to those who use social media or those who don't. That's why I said everyone will have there own opinions on Social Media which can sometimes resort to conflict whatever way you wanna look at it. I do agree with there's those what are adopted who wanna search for their birth patents and I do think Social Media is good for that, anything to do with family or friends.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    CrazyCat wrote: »
    I do agree with there's those what are adopted who wanna search for their birth patents and I do think Social Media is good for that, anything to do with family or friends.

So just to clarify, you think that social media can in specific circumstances be positive in relation to family and friends - but there's no opportunity for it to be positive for girlfriends and boyfriends?
    Yh just keeping in touch with family and friends.