Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

General election results 2015

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So what do people think?

I am absolutely gutted. We've ended up with a Tory MP with only just over 40% of the votes.

I don't think first past the post is fit for purpose. I'm also worried about the role the media had in this election.

5 years is too far away!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Also gutted. :(
    I don't think first past the post is fit for purpose.

:yes:

If this election told us anything, it's that proportional voting needs to be given a chance. The system is shite.
    Fuck a duck.
    Me last night at exit polls: :no:

Me early this morning: :crying:

Me now: Old Mad:banghead:
    I'm also worried about the role the media had in this election.

I just came across this post from Scroobius Pip on Facebook. His zero budget podcast recently hit #1 in the UK. :) Perhaps the potential of social media is somewhat untapped these days? As he says, we have the ability to create our own content outside of the mass media.
    Podcasts are a free media.
    Many people that are unhappy with the election results feel the billionaire owned media outlets had massive influence.
    I truly believe that in the next 5 years, platforms like podcasts can put a huge level of power and influence to distribute information in the hands of others.
    Those outside the agenda driven media.
    This ISNT an ad for MY podcast.
    This isn't another push for you all to support and listen (but for sure do that too).
    This is almost the opposite.
    This is an encouragement for competition.
    Anyone can start a podcast.
    Anyone has the opportunity to do a little research and start something.
    Don't wish to start something?
    That's fine.
    Do some research and support, promote, engage with a podcast that is speaking the way you wish the mainstream media spoke.
    This is a call to arms in the war of controlled media.
    Not happy with Murdoch or whoever else having an influence?
    You have 5 years to build numerous avenues for influence in your democracy.
    Stop fucking moaning and do something about it.
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    All day I have been trying to find words for how I feel. Instead, tears just keep coming through.

I have no idea how to even begin processing this, I'm upset and I'm scared.

I'm pretty sure this system is not fit for purpose.
    So angry and upset. I've defriended everyone on my Facebook that has said they've voted Tory. I'm living in fear about where these welfare cuts will come from and how badly I'll be affected. I'm more worried about people who don't have anyone to back them up in times of need. I know MrRiot and my mum would do everything they could for me but what happens if anything happen to them? I feel like the net that's kept me alive has just been taken from underneath me and friends of mine. One friend has been told that if they are asked to make more cuts to her care they'll have to put her into a home for disabled adults. She's 26. It's just not fair!
    Hoping I'm well enough to do so I think I'm going to run for the greens in the next election. I can't sit back and just watch all this soul and life destroying going on.
    There is nothing left for the poor and the vulnerable to do but to organise. Take part in community campaigns, attend meetings and ensure those who are most likely to be hurt by this government are made aware that they are not alone- that they have others for support, can fight back and win. In Scotland, a massive grassroots campaign against the bedroom tax ensured it was abolished here. Similar can be done for others- strikes need to no longer be seen as a "nuisance" but a necessity. It is the one time the government and corporations sit up and pay attention to the needs of working people. It may seem bleak at the moment, but we do have the option to fight back outwith the ballot box.
    I'm hoping that the number of SNP MPs will help drive electoral reform. In Scotland it became a nationalists vs the rest vote, and because the rest were split the nationalists won the seats even though have a tiny vote share.

As for having a Tory government, I'd like to have seen th coalition stay - but for long term stability I'm glad the labour / SNP combination didn't win. Fundamentally, money is not infinite and you can't sustain spending more than collect in taxes.
    I'm hoping that the number of SNP MPs will help drive electoral reform. In Scotland it became a nationalists vs the rest vote, and because the rest were split the nationalists won the seats even though have a tiny vote share.

As for having a Tory government, I'd like to have seen th coalition stay - but for long term stability I'm glad the labour / SNP combination didn't win. Fundamentally, money is not infinite and you can't sustain spending more than collect in taxes.

Whilst I'm no SNP fan I'm not sure I'd call 50% of the vote a tiny share...

That said given the discrepancy between share and seats, not just in Scotland but elsewhere I'm reluctantly coming around to the view that perhaps FPTP has had its day (though PR will bring its own problems)