Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

'Help' from the doctor?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi there.

I was just wondering if anyone could help me? Recently I've been visiting me GP quite often about my mental health. I can't pinpoint what exactly is wrong, but I know something is and that I need some kind of help. Up until recently, I thought the help I was searching for was someone to talk to - a counsellor or therapist - but more recently I've started to think the help I need might be… medication.
The thing is, whenever I visit the doctors, they just give me some contact details for a counsellor. They don't refer me, it's all left to me and the most recent number they gave me was for a counsellor who wouldn't even see me because of my age.

My problem is… I don't like talking about my problems. Because that means talking about my past, which is a really painful thing. I always need my mum to speak for me in those situations but that just seems to make the doctors appointments worse. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice for getting over that and getting the help you need?

I don't even know if that made any sense but… thank you. It felt good to just write it all down.

Comments

• Options
    SarahRSarahR Posts: 213 Trailblazer
    Hi aalleigh

Welcome to TheSite :) I'm glad it's helped to write down your problem and share it with us.

Well done for reaching out for mental health support. It's not always an easy thing to do, especially if you're not sure exactly what it is you need or who to speak to. It sounds like you haven't quite got what you need from your GP visits so far and you're feeling a bit stuck. It sounds frustrating that they've only been giving you contact details for counselling so far (especially as the last number they gave you was no use anyway!).

We've got some articles here on TheSite which might be of use to you at the moment:

Going to see your GP about a mental health problem
    Trouble getting help for mental health?
    How to talk about your mental health
    Antidepressants FAQ
    Counselling FAQ

One thing which might be useful is to contact your GP surgery reception and ask if you could make an appointment with some different to who you usually see. Sometimes reception staff can advise on the best person to speak to specifically about mental health issues.

You've mentioned that you don't find it very easy to talk about your past when discussing mental health. Writing things down before you go to an appointment might be a good way to get clear about what you want to say so that you can use the time as best you can. If you want to know more about anti-depressants as opposed to counselling, you could write a note to remind yourself to bring it up at your next appointment. It sounds like you're not sure it's helped to have your mother there so this might be a way to ease your way in to talking about these issues yourself.

I hope this has been helpful :) Let us know how you get on.
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hello Aalleigh,

How are you doing? Sarah, above, has pretty much summarized most things I would of suggested, I just wanted to reach out and reassure you that you aren't alone. You've taken a brave step by reaching out for mental health support, from here, and from your GP. It's often about taking little steps, rather than wide strides. Often treating mental health issues can be quite tricky, as medication for depression etc, can leave an individual quite reliant on them. But with 1-2-1 therapy, you can get to the route of a specific issue, or why you are feeling the way you are, and getting a diagnosis, that way you can focus on treating the diagnosis with specific therapy, or medication if required.

Do you know why your GP has only given you contact details? For example, do they want you to go away and think about it, etc? It can be difficult setting up counselling, especially without a GP referral. It might be worth expressing to your GP that you would find it beneficial to have them refer you, rather than you, yourself do it. Or like Sarah said, approaching a different GP in the same practice might help get you a different form of support, etc. Have you ever come across any online counselling websites? So you have someone to talk to now, before proper offline support is arranged? If you did ever find yourself struggling, you could always contact Samaritans on 08457 90 90 90.

I get that talking about things can be difficult, but you don't have to go into your past straight away, many therapist, etc. Understand you need a bond of trust before opening up about aspects like your past, but it's about taking slow steps, and you can always reach out to people on here if you ever needed a chat,

Best wishes,
    WhispersOfTheHeart :heart:

*hug*
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I see this is worrying for you to not know what exactly is wrong with you and having no support when it comes to getting help which isn't easy when you dont like talking about it. This can be hard for anyone in this situation.

You mentioned your mum speaks to the doctor on your behalf. What does your mum exactly say to the doctor when you see them? Do you see the same doctor all the time or a different doctor? Sounds like your not getting anywhere when your seeing them and making things remain the same.

Has the doctor told you what you may have and if so has the doctor thought about putting you on any medication? If not then I think you need to pay a visit to them again with your mum and speak to reception about this as you feel your not getting the treatment you deserve. I think your mum needs to speak to them for you. Hopefully they will either speak to the doctor you had before or get the manager involved so this can be delt with and get you the support you deserve. Would this be any helpful or?

This cant be helping you especially when you dont even know what you have so you can get help for it apart from getting unhelpful advice all the time. The situation hasn't been sorted out the best possible way it should. I can see how much its effecting you and your mum.

Have you thought about looking into the mental health service called The Mental Health Team or The Crisis Team? They are good at supporting and helping people at a young age who has a mental health problem by providing one to one support, advice on how to deal with your thoughts and emotions, group support, therapy, medication to help you cope and techniques you can do for you. What do you think about looking into that? You can get the doctor to refer to them.

You could have a look online for counselling and see if there's anything in your local area who maybe be as to help you. Could ask your mum to help and talk to them on your behalf. You could visit them and bring your mum along.

I think your first step is to go back to the doctors with your mum and speak to reception and explaining this to them so they can deal with the situation in person. You should let them know about this straight away for you to speak to the manager or get them to deal with the situation. Also ask them for a list of all the support and helpline services you can have to contact someone if you need further help or support.

I hope that helps and keep reaching out on here x