Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Anxiety/trains.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys,

Recently my anxiety has been quite bad. I'm having a few panic attacks every day at the moment, which is quite scary. I used to only have panic attacks if I was in an enclosed space, a very busy place or felt quite agitated in general.

They've been so random recently, though. I'll be sat there and suddenly I can't breathe very well and it gets worse from that point onwards. I can't always figure out what's triggered it at the moment.

I have to catch a few trains alone soon and I'm already freaking out about it. Only recently, I caught a train alone for the first time ever and I just about managed that - and I was going from and to somewhere I kind of know.

This time I'll be going to and from places I don't really know which is already making me panic. Then I'll be alone on the actual train, which is an enclosed space, so that's making me panic - and the journeys are quite long. If I'm already panicking now, I seriously dread how I'll be on the day, especially given the fact I've been having much more panic attacks recently.

If I can't do it on the day then I'm not going to make myself but I do want to try because it's for good reason.

I was wondering if you guys have any tips on how to deal with bad anxiety? Usually I find deep breaths help more than anything but at the moment it's just making me notice more that I can't get air in (or at least that's how it feels). Also, do you have any tips on how to make travelling easier, apart from headphones or a book etc. I realise there's probably nothing else that might help but I thought it was worth a check anyway.

Comments

• Options
    Hey butterfly :wave:

Ah - managing anxiety can be so tough - it makes it twice as hard when you don't know where it stems from, or what is triggering it. You've got a few things that set it off down - like being in an enclosed space, as well as being alone, which is a good thing - because if you can predict what might set it off, you can be prepared and have some things up your sleeve to try and help you.

My suggestions for you would be - would it be possible to get someone to come with you (even for a part way of the journey?).

If that's not realistic have you thought about contacting the train company you are going with and letting them know about your situation? I mention this because - I had a friend who's brother had autism, and for a while, they wouldn't let them go on the train alone (they thought he might get off at the wrong stop) and so they let the conductor know, and they kept an eye on him, made sure he was ok, let him know when to get off at his station etc. People can be a lot more supportive, than you think, if you let them know what is going on. Its something to think about anyway. :yes: That way if you do start feeling like you are getting too anxious, you can let them know and they can support you (you may feel reassured that you're not alone and if you do freak out, there is someone around who knows your situation and can try to help). :yes:

I had a look at tips for coping with anxiety whilst traveling - and I found this good technique:

Progressive Muscle Relaxation. It helps calm you down by bringing your attention to the physical world and to your physical body. And you can do it standing in line or siting down–anywhere.

A basic example is as follows. Make a fist and squeeze your hands tight for 3 to 4 seconds, then release. Next, flex your forearms for 3 to 4 seconds, and release. Then do the same with the biceps. Cycle through these muscle groups a few times over and your thoughts will find themselves out of your fast moving mind and into the physical world.

So you might want to give that a try if deep breathing isn't really working out for you? :) You never know, it might help!

Is there anything you could bring along with you on your trip that makes you smile/has good memories? Could be a diary, picture, some clothing that makes you think of a happy occasion - you could give it a squeeze, or hold it when you feel your anxiety building up.

Remember to bring something to eat/drink as well to keep your blood sugar balanced out - which may help you too, especially as you mentioned it was quite a long journey.

I hope that helps you ;) good luck with it butterfly. Ill be thinking of you x
  • Options
    Depending on how long your journey is I often find it helpful to take my laptop and put a film on, that way it gives you something to focus on and it's a good distraction
  • Options
    Woah, that's all really helpful - thanks Tam. I'll give everything you've suggested a try, and I could take a picture of my nephew with me. It's worth a try at least.

Thanks for the suggestion hiccup but it's only a day so I don't want to be taking my laptop.
  • Options
    Ah okay, I thought it was a longer trip

Please can you edit that post..
  • Options
    Eek, I'm so sorry! D:
  • Options
    Eek, I'm so sorry! D:

No worries! Easy mistake to make
    thank you though :)
  • Options
    I'm sure there's a thread on here on adult / mindful colouring books. (I think that's what they're called?) Is that something that would help you?
  • Options
    JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Not sure if you've seen this video butterfly, but it might be worth bookmarking for those moments when you can feel everything building up:
    URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-NjNuZSmPQ"]video link[/URL
  • Options
    You're very welcome butterfly - *hug*

Let us know how it went :yes:

x
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Good luck Butterfly :) Only thing I'd add would be that if you are sure of your itinerary and look up as much as possible in advance, e.g. where to go, times etc. I find this reassures me when i don't really know where I'm going. Oh and music - turning it up loudly to try and drown anything else out.

Good luck :*hug*
  • Options
    I managed the train journey here but still not done the train journey home for different reasons. So I'm kind of going off topic a bit here but I cannot cope with my panic attacks at the moment. They're worse yet again, and they're literally horrendous. Once I feel one coming on, there's basically no way to stop it and I end up becoming completely hysterical. Breathing becomes really fast and I can't get air in whatsoever, then I'll start crying so breathing will become even worse, then I get rather dizzy. It's absolutely awful. I don't know what to do - I don't think there's any way to ease them at all. There have been a few adults around (separately) recently that have sat with me during some of them and have managed to somehow take control of it for me so after a short while, I'll be able to breathe a little better again, but that's only if they catch me having one. When I'm alone it's so, so hard to ease both breathing and crying. Please help me guys?
  • Options
    *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Sending you hugs. Wish there was something I could say/do to help you.

:heart:

When is your train home?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    *hug* butterfly, I'm sorry the panic attacks are so bad right now.
    When I've felt panic attacks come on in the past, I've found getting down on the floor/bed and lying on my back the most helpful because it forces me to concentrate on getting my breathing in line. One hand on the diaphragm, one on my chest and concentrating on getting the breaths in through the diaphragm as opposed to the chest.
    I don't know whether you've had any kind of treatment for panic attacks in the past, but one thing I was taught was to practise the breathing as much as possible in situations where you are relaxed e.g. just before bed because if you can master it in those situations, the deep breathing becomes second nature and kicks in when your anxiety levels start rising. I think I still have the worksheets somewhere, so I can send them to you if you want. I know that's a kind of longer term thing than right now helping, sorry.

I really hope you can find some calm away from panic attacks soon.
  • Options
    Thank you. One of the adults that was around this weekend taught me that when she was sat with me. She had told me to copy her. It's really difficult to remember when I'm alone and in that moment of a panic attack because I struggle to even breathe in through my nose. I can't cope. I swear it's constantly getting worse. I'll have one and sometimes I don't even know what has triggered it. I could be absolutely fine one minute and then suddenly I'm not breathing properly. I'm so hesitant about leaving the house ever again because I could panic at any time and I absolutely hate it when I'll be sat outside having a panic attack and strangers will approach me. They're probably just trying to help but new people makes me panicky anyway, so when strangers approach me mid panic attack, it doesn't help. That probably makes me sound like an ungrateful/selfish bitch. It makes me sad that I've had such a difficult weekend whilst at my safest place.
  • Options
    It doesn't makes you selfish or ungrateful. I do understand where you're coming from on that.

Is your problem just trains, or public transport in general?
  • Options
    In terms of panic attacks? Usually they're triggered by any enclosed space - so trains, lifts, really busy places, cars if they're full. But recently it has been a mixture of many other things that have triggered it too.