Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Issues with a contractor who caused damage to my home

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I hired a contractor who than hired a subcontractor to do work on my home in the area of installing hurricane impact windows that unfortunately weren't installed correctly. We had last January of 2014 23 inches of rain that fell over night and water came in through the windows that weren't caulked properly and caused $20K in mold damages alone. After receiving mold reports and demolition and reconstruction reports I was told I could not stay in my home while the work is being done due to not being able to have access to any bathrooms, any bedrooms or a kitchen. I am going back and forth with opposing council who insists I can stay in my home even though I told him there is no room for me to stay at all as the only room left is going to be stockpiled with my furniture from all the other affected rooms. Does anyone know of a statute for Florida that I can refer to to show one is not allowed to stay in a residence without having any access to bathrooms, bedrooms and or a kitchen?

Comments

• JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Hi Mikey,

Welcome to TheSite!

I'm sorry to read about you situation. Not having access to a bathroom, bedroom or a kitchen must make life pretty tricky, and it must be frustrating to be told otherwise.

As a UK-based site, we might not be able to help much with the legal element here unfortunately. The relevant statutes in Florida are likely to be pretty different to what we're used to. Given the specific nature of the issue, it might be worth seeking out a service more local to you.

Hope that makes sense

James
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Reply to James
    James wrote: »
    Hi Mikey,

Welcome to TheSite!

I'm sorry to read about you situation. Not having access to a bathroom, bedroom or a kitchen must make life pretty tricky, and it must be frustrating to be told otherwise.

As a UK-based site, we might not be able to help much with the legal element here unfortunately. The relevant statutes in Florida are likely to be pretty different to what we're used to. Given the specific nature of the issue, it might be worth seeking out a service more local to you.

Hope that makes sense

James

James hello,

Thank you for letting me know this site is based out of the U.K. as I was not aware of this at all when I joined. I appreciate your sympathy in my situation and am hoping there might be some fellow Americans who have also joined this as I have that might be able to help shed some insight to the statutes as it is an issue that I am forced to deal with until I have a solution. Thank you again for your reply to my thread and I hope you and yours are well.