Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

JSA and GPoW

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello.
I hope you can help me. I tried to call to JSA help line, but 2 people there keep tell me information, which is different with what I can see here.
I am EU national - Latvian. I live in UK from 2007. I never left UK (just few weeks for the trip). Now I am getting JSA (from 24/02/2015). I've been today to Job centre adviser and he told me that after 3 months (21/05/2015) I have to pass GPoW interview and possibly I am going to loos my JSA.
All info which I can find in internet doesn't say that I have to pass this interview after 3 months - I see 6 months everywhere. And I see info that not all EU nationals have to pass this interview. Can you help to understand - do I have any rights to not go to this interview. How can I prove to advisers that they are wrong if they are wrong? I just see that even people on help line don't know anything.

I hope of course to find a job soon, but I thought I have 6 months for that, but now seems that I have just 3 months and then all benefits (I've got just 2 - JSA and housing) will stop.
I live in Bristol.
Or may be you know another email address where I can find help.

I also found this https://www.freemovement.org.uk/benefits-to-be-withdrawn-from-eea-jobseekers-previously-unaffected-by-the-january-2014-changes/ where you can see these 3 months info - but I can't understand if it's for anyone or for people who have been getting JSA for a long time.
And this https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/402043/m-2-15.pdf - and I can't understand am I retained worker or what.

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    SarahRSarahR Posts: 213 Trailblazer
    Hi Aglon

I'm sorry to hear you've been having trouble clarifying information on JSA. It sounds like the advice you've received has been contradictory. We're not experts in benefits advice here at TheSite, so it might be a good idea to get in touch with your local Citizens Advice Bureau for further support. They also have lots of advice available online.

In Bristol, there is also an organisation called Talking Money, with trained benefits advisers who are able to offer support.

I hope this is helpful.