Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Coursework motivation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
My uni course is going well but I have a piece of coursework due in on Wednesday and I'm struggling with motivation I think.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    My uni course is going well but I have a piece of coursework due in on Wednesday and I'm struggling with motivation I think.
    What subject is it?
  • Options
    trekkin wrote: »
    What subject is it?

It's Portuguese (for uni).
  • Options
    I am meant to have DSA to get a mental health study mentor but cos of various admin problems at Student Finance England this hasn't happened yet. I'm guessing this is just the type of thing they could help me with. I'm feeling quite down really in myself and not sure how to proceed.
  • Options
    I always used to be motivated by time off after i finished it. The sooner I got it done, the more time I could have before the due date to just relax and do nothing.

Or i used to to do a few words every day. i.e 1000 words in 3 days is only 333 words a day which is doable. Just do your quota each day and it will seem more manageable
  • Options
    How's it going so far?

I e still got all my study skills notes, if you want to share a bit more detail of the assignment I'll try and do some study skills chunking on it for you?

Generally, breaking it down into chunks, with a set chunk to do each day / week/ half day depending on the time scale you're working to
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    I always used to be motivated by time off after i finished it. The sooner I got it done, the more time I could have before the due date to just relax and do nothing.

Or i used to to do a few words every day. i.e 1000 words in 3 days is only 333 words a day which is doable. Just do your quota each day and it will seem more manageable

Me too. I knew that if I got an essay done in week 1, rather than using all 3 weeks, I'd have 2 weeks of feeling pretty good about myself.

Agree with the chunking and using word counts as aims. Also don't worry about necessarily starting at the start - start with the easiest bit just to get some words done.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone. I think I'm having a full blown crash out now so I have asked for an extension as it's hard to even think of uni work at the moment. I will follow all your advice once I'm feeling better x
  • Options
    Cat88Cat88 Posts: 377 Listening Ear
    I was on a course last week which talked about productivity and i really agree with Lexi's suggestion on chunking - it was phrased as "instead of worrying about the 100% feeling daunting, find 10% you can do now". I like the mentality and it definitely worked for me over the weekend :)
  • Options
    Uni are being really good, I have an extra two weeks now automatically for being registered with the disability team and then if I need more time I can get a letter from the doctor to get mitigating circumstances. Also my DSA has now come through so I should have a mentor etc soon and I have an appointment with the mental health advisor at uni on Friday.
  • Options
    Well done. Sounds like you've done exactly the right thing. It takes a lot to ask for extra time so well done. Hopefully you get some help on the studies skills front soon - but if not sure that we can try and help.
  • Options
    Just to update - I had an admission for a few weeks, got discharged this morning and went to see my new mentor. Feeling much more positive about the whole thing now.

She said lots of helpful things. As suggested I am breaking it down onto small chunks and also she said to do the easiest task first so I have a sense of achievement and get something done.

I'm more behind now than when I started this thread but also I'm feeling a lot better in myself so will use this week to catch up.

First exam is next Wednesday and I haven't studied for it yet either - eek.
  • Options
    Bite sized chunks. All the way. Bite sized chunks.

Learning whole syllabus is hard. Learning half of one lecture is pretty easy. Then do 15 minutes of knitting. Then a bit of coursework. Then a walk around the block. Then the next half lecture, and soon you've done half the coursework and revised half the sykllabus.
  • Options
    I've submitted my coursework! And my mitigating circumstances form and medical evidence. Feels so good to have done it.