Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Unemployment is getting me really down...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My name is Christina. I am 27 and I have a BSc and MSc, I have done years of voluntary work in the charity sector for big and small charities. Following the end of my last job (where I was high up management for an NGO in Madagascar) I have been back in the UK looking for work. I am getting really down as I am just not getting any feedback other than negative despite the fact that I feel more than qualified for the jobs I apply for. Also having come back to the UK following 2 years working overseas I have no real friends or hobbies here and have left my friends, my dog and the children and families I worked with every day behind. I am running out of money and finding it harder and harder to maintain a routine and not allow my negative mood to push away the few people I do have around me. I don't know what I expect people here to say really, but I am having a bad day and haven't even sent off one single application today. I wonder if anyone has any magical job-hunting secrets to share?

Comments

• Options
    GregGreg Deactivated Posts: 50 Boards Initiate
    Hi Christina,
    I'm really sorry about what you are going through. Its really unfortunate that you have those degrees and still can't find a job. Please know that you are not alone and this is a big problem here in the UK.

If you're interested, we offer many articles about job hunting and work information. Please check them out at http://www.thesite.org/work-and-study/getting-a-job,self-employed,your-career-path.

What field have you been trying to work in? It can be really hard being away for so many years and having to make new friends, do you have any ideas on what you can do to meet new people?
  • Options
    Greg wrote: »
    Hi Christina,
    I'm really sorry about what you are going through. Its really unfortunate that you have those degrees and still can't find a job. Please know that you are not alone and this is a big problem here in the UK.

If you're interested, we offer many articles about job hunting and work information. Please check them out at http://www.thesite.org/work-and-study/getting-a-job,self-employed,your-career-path.

What field have you been trying to work in? It can be really hard being away for so many years and having to make new friends, do you have any ideas on what you can do to meet new people?

I have got stick into reading all your resources today- there were some really helpful hints there. I know that I am not alone in my situation and I feel sorry for all of us out there who are able and willing to work and for whom the job hunt is such a drag. Thank you so much for your reply. Even just talking to someone about it makes me feel less crazy and like it's a normal part of the process.

My area of work is International Development so I have spent the last few years working with the UN and Red Cross and other charities like that on HIV programming, forced migration issues, heritage protection, child safeguarding and advocacy programs for incarcerated minors and pregnant women with children inside. I have also spent time in the UK working on youth mental health charities and as an assistant psychologist with the University of Cambridge. It's just so frustrating to not be able to lend my skills to something useful- I feel like I've lost a big part of my identity not having my work...

I have been avoiding the job centre and signing on because I wasn't sure they would have any new information for me and signing on just feels so final- like a failure. But I know I can't put it off for any longer and I will be visiting on Monday so maybe they will have some new information for me and perhaps I will find some new avenues for me too.

Thank you for replying to me. It really makes a difference. You have done something good for me today and I really appreciate it. xx
  • Options
    Just replied to the same thread on the Work thread.

Just keep applying for jobs and you''ll land one eventually. :)

Maybe re-write your CV or have it professionally written.

Write to some companies to ask if there are any jobs, and why you want to work there.

I know what it feels like when to one contacts you about a job. I'm going through it myself.....and now that there are only certain jobs I can apply for, due to my health, it's even harder because either I don't have the right qualifications or they are out of date.

No friends? Are you on facebook? Why not connect with old friends?
  • Options
    Yeah actually a few people have said about linkedIn and I started a profile and connected with a few old colleagues and university friends so that's great.

I went to a zumba class today and it got me out of the house and meeting some new people so I am feeling really positive at the start of a new week. Thank you for your response. It's good to know there are people out there who are experiencing similar things. I hope your health doesn't stop you from getting something fulfilling and that you find the courage to keep pushing through!
  • Options
    cl259 wrote: »
    Yeah actually a few people have said about linkedIn and I started a profile and connected with a few old colleagues and university friends so that's great.

I went to a zumba class today and it got me out of the house and meeting some new people so I am feeling really positive at the start of a new week. Thank you for your response. It's good to know there are people out there who are experiencing similar things. I hope your health doesn't stop you from getting something fulfilling and that you find the courage to keep pushing through!

Nice to know you're going out and meeting people :)

There are times when my health gets me down. I hate it. I'm realizing that I cannot get the jobs I want to do. I have to find jobs where I can sit down most of the time.

We'll both find a job some time. We just have to find some courage like you said and confidence.

:)